addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There should be a subtle notice in the site's header to the effect "Caution, Ponding May Become Addictive"
May become? it is!

So darn happy your pond is doing great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
May become? it is!

So darn happy your pond is doing great!

:D It is addictive, but it's cheaper than therapy, and much more fun!

Thank you Addy. We're pleased with the way it's constantly evolving and has given us hours and hours of pleasant times from the planning, the physical labor, and the quiet evenings just enjoying the sounds and "oasis" feel of it.
I owe in no small part a thanks to the folks here on the site who have provided ideas, encouragement, and the "how to's".

Holy cow! This sounds like a eulogy! It's not! :LOL: I'm going out back now and listen to a waterfall with an adult beverage:happy: Have a nice evening!:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You have done an incredible job Timothy, it's hard to even believe that that used to be a swimming pool.

Thank you!
With it having been a pool, I have a built-in excuse for the straight edges and exposed liner around some of the edges. (y):) Too much trouble to try and disguise it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
TB and Tim, you two are a hoot! Wonder which one of you is going to run out of phrases first!
Tim, your flowers are gorgeous, and that's some VERY clear water! My koi pond is the clearest right now that it has ever been that I remember! Crystal clear ... knock on wood. Hot days are coming again ... we shall see if it clouds up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you Country! The flowers this year are strange. The ones that did great last year are just OK this year, and the stragglers last year are coming into their own this year. We haven't done anything to encourage one or the other, it just seems to be totally weather related.
As for the pond water, we've just come through some unusually warm temps (for us), and high humidity, and the water remains clear.
I do have a couple of plants at the end of the bog that are trying to escape though.......
DSC01358.JPG
.....there's one on the right side of the island that's trying to escape from underneath.....
DSC01361.JPG
The remainder seem to be maintaining their boundary's.
DSC01356.JPG DSC01366.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Is that red flower a hollyhock, Tim? If so, it's the most beautiful one I've ever seen. Usually they are straggly, and falling over, and not nearly as many flowers.
Yep, lots of flowers in bogs will try to "escape". LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is that red flower a hollyhock, Tim? .......... Usually they are straggly, and falling over, and not nearly as many flowers.
Yep, lots of flowers in bogs will try to "escape". LOL

Thank you Country. I would love to tell you they are holyhock but I'm not sure - the plastic sticker that goes in the ground next to the plants is missing. I only recognize about five flowers, and two of them are weeds.:) Here's a couple more photos, perhaps someone will recognize them........
IMG_0675.JPG IMG_0678.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Those are gorgeous hollyhocks! I stopped trying with them years ago. I don't know if it's the new hybrids or what, but I can't find a variety that will stand on it's own. And I'm not into propping anybody up! My grandmothers both grew beautiful hollyhocks next to their front doors, and I would love to have them in my garden. Maybe time to try again...

Edited to add: Hollyhocks are biennial - they bloom the second year. However, they are prolific self seeders, so you many have blooms every year if you leave the bed undisturbed. This year's seeds won't flower next year, but last year's will... if that makes any sense!

Last edited:

Ask a Question