DIY barrel ponds.

Reaction score
Hi, I have just joined this forum after reading a few really interesting and quality posts.

I'm in need of a little advice and to maybe share some ideas with someone more knowledgable than myself :)

I have recently been landscaping a small section of my garden and wanted to add a small water feature without taking up too much space.

I'm now part way through the project and if I can figure out how to post photos from my phone I will post some progress photos...

any help would be greatly appreciated both on ideas for the pond and how to upload bloody photos :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 483
Reaction score
it seems I can post pics! not too thick after all.

I didn't have much room for a water feature after the bar/summerhouse/mancave was built so decided on 2 oak barrels connected together underground by a 6" pipe running to either side of the garden.

Reaction score
it seems I can post pics! not too thick after all.

I didn't have much room for a water feature after the bar/summerhouse/mancave was built so decided on 2 oak barrels connected together underground by a 6" pipe running to either side of the garden.

Tall and skinny is not a good shape for a fish pond. But we dont yet know if you want to keep fish

Reaction score
thanks for the post diesel power, I should probably add a bit more detail.

My experience is mainly with aquariums but I have built several koi ponds and maintained some of my friends ponds.

I know I am restricted to the amount of fish that I can have due to the restricted surface area of the barrels. I'm in no way intending to overstock the pond with fish the main idea is to have a planted water feature that is aesthetically pleasing and possibly to house a pair of medium sized fish or several smaller fish by using an external recycled filter system. By taking out of 1 barrel into a filter then gravity fed into the second barrel, creating a flow between the 2.

hope u still follow my drift.. I'm not into over stocked ponds, lakes or even rivers (I've fished a few).

Thanks again for your input.

Reaction score
The barrels hold 40 gallons each with the top cut off down to the first metal band. they are extremely bulky and well built. The oak is well expanded with no leaks and although the strong smell of matured smoked whiskey is still there it is slowly fading compared to the fumes that nearly knocked me on my arse when I first cut through the barrels :)

Reaction score
I have no idea why that previous photo was upside down :/

I should also add the barrels are going to be insulated and lined.

Anyone else had any experience with keeping full sized barrel ponds?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 431
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have any experience with a barrel pond. I do have experience in planting them, as I like their rustic look. I was surprised one day when I kept smelling putrid smell, that mine was holding water from rain and waterings...ended up drilling holes in it to properly drain.

Sounds like you're already an experience fish keeper, but if it were me, I'd just start with water and plants.....till you make sure all residue of alcohol is gone. Not sure how alcohol would affect the ph, but just a thought.

Reaction score
Hey Tula thanks for the reply, thought I had already mentioned both barrels will be insulated and lined with an epdm liner.. something else that I could do with a little advice on! I'm not sure what grade liner I should use, to be hard wearing but flexible enough for a barrel so as not to get to many deep unsightly creases.

Thanks again for your reply from so far away :) I like your profile photo.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
muppetdad
Won't be much different than an Aquarium like you said so just keep a certain # of fish and you said you are lining them so no problem w/ the alcohol. 45mm is usually good for liner thickness and you can get really good at making the folds look pretty good. Wonder if you could use some kind of fish friendly goop to make the folds lay down flat or maybe they would just do that w/o it once the tops are fastened down. The water may hold the folds down also. I put liner in an old tub and stuck that in the ground and after awhile I couldn't even see the liner cuz the plants pretty much hid it all. It's my Azolla floating plant tank so can't see through that stuff at all once it covers the surface.

Reaction score
Thanks for the big welcome j.w.. and that sounds like good advice, i too thought the water pressure might hold the folds down. But by only cutting the top 50mm off the top of the barrel the shape is quite awkward as in the top of the barrel is not its widest part like a half barrel.. perhaps your adhesive idea might help :)

not used to these forums, my photos keep uploading upside down :( but I'm trying!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 386
Reaction score
grrr.. what's going on with my photos?.. I'm not blaming this site,
I know it's my stupid noggin doing something wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oopps, missed the part where you said you were using a liner. I'm thinking J.w.'s advise is something to consider, especially because of the shape of the liner.

Not sure why you pics are uploading up side down....mine sometimes do that via e-mail on my phone camera.

Reaction score
muppetdad
Won't be much different than an Aquarium like you said so just keep a certain # of fish and you said you are lining them so no problem w/ the alcohol. 45mm is usually good for liner thickness and you can get really good at making the folds look pretty good. Wonder if you could use some kind of fish friendly goop to make the folds lay down flat or maybe they would just do that w/o it once the tops are fastened down. The water may hold the folds down also. I put liner in an old tub and stuck that in the ground and after awhile I couldn't even see the liner cuz the plants pretty much hid it all. It's my Azolla floating plant tank so can't see through that stuff at all once it covers the surface.

P.s 45mm? is that thickness jw?

Ask a Question