sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think the best thing I ever did was add plants to my filters .They clean the water before any thing gets into the pond .I know the plants can get out of control in the filters ,last year a banana plant I had in my filter had 8 foot long roots on it and I had to take it out .But water was clean :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi Sissy, Yes I have always used the lava rock also and them last year--someone told me that the clog and don't trap as well and I should switch to bio balls. Not sure if I did the right them or not--but I have more lavas I can toss in the waterfall. Does anyone know if this is accurate that the bio balls will hold more per sq. inch?

Bioballs do have a higher SSA than Lava rock.

Reaction score
My only filter is a plastic 45 gallon barrel. In it:

2 King size quilt battings
50 lbs of lava rock in mesh bags
Lots of SOS scrubbing pads
3 King size quilt battings

Gives me a total of 5 quilt battings in the filter. Takes around 1500 gallons to perfectly clear on around 3-4 days. I can see the bottom, which is 3 1/2 ft deep.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And is easy to clean .I clean mine off with the hose and soak it in peroxide and water if it easy really bad .I put the reusable furnace filters on top of the quilt batting .The furnace to catch the big stuff first .

Ask a Question