Filter with small waterfall

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Hi
Just wanted to share the implementation of my DIY pond filter, in addition to my bog filter.
The reason: I normally used the water of a natural stream, with my irrigation pump, for recirculation and oxigenation. This year tho the rain was more intensive than usual and the stream water was too "brown" to be used for my pond.

In short:

- 250l domestic roof water tank, with the usual arrangement:
- up-flow,
- 2 different size pumps for operation upon water necessity,
- piping for water distribution, with control valves, to (mech) filter and bog filter,
- water distribution at the bottom,
- 3 different gravel size layers (about 4" each),
- 4" sponge, and here it comes,
- 2x36W UVC lamps in a kind of chamber at the top.

Now i am testing filtering results, sofar ok, and I am much less dependent of the natural stream, which is a great pond element I have to say.
The control valves are great for testing of water distribution too! :)

Hope this to be of any help and would be more than happy for comments. Sorry for the bunch of pictures.

Attachments

• filtro_04.JPG
    filtro_04.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 9
  • filtro_05.JPG
    filtro_05.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 9
  • filtro_06.JPG
    filtro_06.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 9
  • filtro_10.JPG
    filtro_10.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 11
  • filtro_08.JPG
    filtro_08.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 11
  • filtro_09.JPG
    filtro_09.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
Peru
Pictures are good.

Lots of work cleaning the UV. Is the bog not enough to control green water?
I guess I need more plants in the bog filter...takes time tho. For the mean time I was using, 2-3 times a week, water from a natural stream with my irrigation pump (recirculation, exchange and oxigenation). Easy and great results, see picture. Still, I am happy with the new filter and fill more...on the safe side :)
For the cleaning of the uvc lamps I just remove the tank cap and do it with a piece of sponge. Couple of seconds only.
Thanks for your kind comment.

Attachments

• filtro_11.JPG
    filtro_11.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi
Just wanted to share the implementation of my DIY pond filter, in addition to my bog filter.
The reason: I normally used the water of a natural stream, with my irrigation pump, for recirculation and oxigenation. This year tho the rain was more intensive than usual and the stream water was too "brown" to be used for my pond.

In short:

- 250l domestic roof water tank, with the usual arrangement:
- up-flow,
- 2 different size pumps for operation upon water necessity,
- piping for water distribution, with control valves, to (mech) filter and bog filter,
- water distribution at the bottom,
- 3 different gravel size layers (about 4" each),
- 4" sponge, and here it comes,
- 2x36W UVC lamps in a kind of chamber at the top.

Now i am testing filtering results, sofar ok, and I am much less dependent of the natural stream, which is a great pond element I have to say.
The control valves are great for testing of water distribution too! :)

Hope this to be of any help and would be more than happy for comments. Sorry for the bunch of pictures.
Well you've been busy and so creative. Thanks for the explanation and the photos. Hope it works out for you :)

Ask a Question