Flow rate for pond sand and gravel filter question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking to make a 55 gallon or larger sand and Gravel filter for my pond .I was wondering what is the max flow you can run though these bad puppy's.
My pond is going to be around 3000 gallons it is going to be a pump fed system sand and Gravel filter then to k1 and back to the pond.
If Im not wrong ive heard 2000gph is normal on a 55 gallon SG filter. Now say I get a bigger drum 100 Gallons and make it a SG filter could I get 3000gph out of it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don’t know if anyone’s running a SG filter here. I see you posted on Koiphen, that is your best bet.
I guess you just need a container that is taller than it is wide. Personally, if I wanted to increase flow, I would use multiple 55g since they are so easy to find.

It is amazing how well the SG filters work and how many fines they trap without an rdf. on koiphen I saw a guy found the deer feeder insert trays fit into the bottom of 55g.

I have built static and moving bed kaldness filters for my little pond, it’s amazing how much gunk the static kaldness traps, but I would think the sg will catch it all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t know if anyone’s running a SG filter here. I see you posted on Koiphen, that is your best bet.
I guess you just need a container that is taller than it is wide. Personally, if I wanted to increase flow, I would use multiple 55g since they are so easy to find.

It is amazing how well the SG filters work and how many fines they trap without an rdf. on koiphen I saw a guy found the deer feeder insert trays fit into the bottom of 55g.

I have built static and moving bed kaldness filters for my little pond, it’s amazing how much gunk the static kaldness traps, but I would think the sg will catch it all.
thanks for the info and yep thats me over on koiphen.
I found a 130 gallon round tank off FB I dont no the dimensions yet waiting for the seller to tell me. $50 bucks may give it a go.
Id like to just have one SG filter bc of space then run it to a 55g moving bed.
I like static filters just id like something i could clean out twice maybe once a year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ive cleaned my static one out a couple times now, it’s been up about a year and half I think. I’m totally sold on SG filter. I wish I had put an airstone inside the static (k3) filter to make clean out easier.. like how an SG works where you put it on drain and turn on the air below during clean out. There’s a 2” clean out on the bottom of my static barrel and I just hand agitate the kaldness and spray from hose with the clean out ball valve open full. It takes about 75 gallons to clean it all.

But there’s no way it’s trapping as much fine material like the SG does. I have a lot of little particulates in my water column as well. So the static kaldness gets a lot of fines but for me, some in the visible range make it through.

I’ve seen a post on koiphen that claimed the sand and gravel can get particulates to zero with enough passes through. And RDF’s are very expensive.

I think the filtering through gravel and sediment is why big Bog/Wetland Filters work so well for clarity, a lot of the koi ponds on here have extremely clear water and healthy fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sand and Gravel filter
Those are pool filters, in a pond they will be a maintenance nightmare. your floow rates will decrease drasticly when the filters aew clkean, as soon as they start to clog you will loose your gph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We ran a sand and gravel filter for years on our koi pond, 1700 gallons, four adult koi. We used "Birdman's Sand & Gravel Filter "

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A S&G filter will work perfectly fine in a pond and they have a very long history of effective use. It is one of the easiest & most efficient DIY filters you can build for the money. Go over to Koiphen and search. We have been running one for almost 25 years and have never cleaned it. Having a static pre-filter before it will help, but not necessary. A skimmer bucket and leave basket on the pump will do. The previously mentioned Birdman's Sand & Gravel Filter is a very good design. If on Koiphen, also search for one deigned by Kent Wallace.
As far as flow rate, I would keep it well under 2000, probably closer to 1000. Just build in a bypass so you can control the rate of flow through it.

Ask a Question