Fountain keeps getting clogged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi all. Hope this is the right section for this. I have one of those all in one filter/pumps at one end of my pond and I have a waterfall/filter on the other end... My problem started with string algae about a month and a half ago. I cleaned it all out (scrubbed the sides and drained my pond down to about 10 inches when I did that)... then I filled it and added a chemical which worked and did not harm any of my fish or plants (yay- i was scared to use it and while i was deciding what to do the algae was taking control). Ok so my husband took the filter apart and cleaned it all out and then put in new filter material and all that good stuff. The pond cleared out nicely and since then I got water hyacinth to help cover the sloped area that had the most algae. Well, the fountain head keeps clogging. Widening the holes helped for about 2 days but the spray pattern was terrible looking and going all over.

Today I go out there and my water hyacinth was against the fountain head (or so I thought)... I pushed it out of the way gently with a pool skimmer and dont you know the whole darn fountain piece came off at the ball joint! Then i saw stuff come out and cloud the heck out of my water. The ball joint was kind of loose to begin with... wondering if there is a way to tighten it up somehow or do I need a new piece?

Also I want to know if I can get a more dense filter material and put that inside of the unit instead of using the blue one that came with it? I bought a cut to fit in the same color and it is identical to the original one that is inside... would it hurt to put one inside that is more dense or will I burn up my pump? The fountain spray looks very nice but not when half is clogged by particles or small pieces of algae.

It's not always easy to reach in and remove the head of the fountain to wash out and replace again... and possibly reaching out to do so and placing it back on has loosened that ball joint to the point that it will separate if you touch it with something.

Sorry if I am too hyper... I took a minute to type this all out in between cleaning and getting ready for a little cookout with my parents. LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never had luck with those things they get to much muck stuck in them .But the was a crate built one on here where they put the pump in side a crate with filter material attached to it ,may have been koiguy but not sure but you can check on the build sight .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi there Sissy... sorry I didnt check this earlier... I am bringing this all in one filter (with the cloggy fountain) to put into my indoor basement set up for winter time. Just ordered a new pump and a ton of other stuff to put in its place. :) Maybe I will try out one of those floating fountain things and see how that goes next year

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The floating kind will clog more and you have to weigh it down so it does not float to the edge .I tried a floating lily pad one with a small prefilter under it and it clogged every day and also had a frog on a lily pad that clogged .They all clog and I know have a hose connected to the pump with a ball valve to aerate the pond

Ask a Question