Front yard pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I plan to put a pond with either a 45 or 60 EPDM liner in front of my porch. See attached pic. My main question is do you think I should use a skimmer or drop a pump on the opposite end of my waterfall? I plan to put a waterfall in the area where the tree currently is, maybe a little behind it. Yes I plan to remove all the greenery and tree for the pond build. My goal is to get a 5X12 foot pond in the area. What would you all recommend to use a drop in pump with a screen to give it more surface area or just install a skimmer? There are not many trees in the area. I do have 1 on the other side of my driveway but it's not in a heavily wooded area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• front yard.jpg
    front yard.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @Bowhunter223! Glad to have you as a member. There is lots of friendly experience on this site.
To answer your filtration question, I would use a submerged pump, placed on a brick or something to keep it off of the bottom and pump the water up and into a bog filter. The bog filter can then gravity flow (waterfall) back into your pond.
I see the area is on high ground and your gutter vents below the level of your proposed pond. That is good. Do you have electrical service nearby?
What is the total size of the area?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Stephen! There's a lot to learn here and appreciate expertise here. I had not considered a bog filter but will definitely do so.
Follow up question. The waterfall I was looking at has filter pads and a bag for further media. Would a bog filter still be necessary here or would it just be "added" filtration and hold beneficial bacteria?
Yes I have an available electric outlets readily available along the front wall of my house.
The total size is 17X5 in the narrow part and 17X8 in the wider part along my sidewalk.
I should also mention I plan to have an 8-10 inch deep shelf around most of the perimeter. and a 24 inch depth close to the front patio as a fish feeding area.
Thanks again!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

If the pond will be near your front porch, be sure you look into any city or local ordinances regarding depth and fencing — for safety reasons! There’s always the worry that a child will explore the pond (who wouldn’t), and be injured or drown.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Constructed properly the bog would take the place of a commercial waterfall unit. The gravel does provide tons of surface are for bacteria, but also the plants that grow in it can uptake and export (via you trimming them) the nitrates that are the end product of the nitrogen cycle.

You could use the uppermost 4' or so of the narrow area (closest to the front door) as the bog, raised slightly above and spilling into the lower pond.

Ask a Question