Goldfish Dying... Someone Help!

Reaction score
The answer to this one is simple. Well water is devoid of oxygen. There is very little free oxygen underground.
It takes water a while to absorb oxygen, and if you are replacing the oxygenated water with the un-oxygenated well water faster then that water can absorb fresh oxygen the fish will begin to suffocate.
DP is correct that stratification of that magnitude is highly unlikely in a small pond like that with any water movement at all.

Thank you! I also agree this seems like the most likely answer. Even though I had no idea that well water is not oxygenated! Does this even apply if the hose was not under the water as it was filling up? I always just hang the hose over the edge, never put it in the water.

Also, my mom actually just surprised me today and got a few baby goldfish that she put in the pond when I was at work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup, well water is more or less devoid of oxygen

Any kind of air pump with the bubbles encouraged to disperse, burst and break up would improve the dissolved oxygen

A tire air pump set as to pump bubbles as deep as possible with the airflow rising through some textile would be effective

Reaction score
Fishylove has your solution for doing water changes so this won't likely happen again. That and that and some aeration. That and reduce your fish load in your pond.
I always trickle water into the pond, and we've all been there with the long running top offs :) Heck I left mine on all night once, and I have chlorinated water and don't normally treat it. ( that time I did after the fact though, fish were fine). Key is to trickle water, very very slow.

Reaction score
I think water becomes cold and its difficult for fish to survive in this coolest pond.
But have you checked the Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite level...because it happens only changed in the water environment.

Ask a Question