Grow Taro from Seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it possible to grow taro plants from seeds after it blooms? The only information I can find online is on growing them from corms not seeds. Has anyone ever tried to plant actual seeds? I'm assuming here that they actually produce seeds, so this may be totally off the wall I haven't looked at the remains at the base of the of the blooms yet. I'm waiting for those to mature, I suppose, if they will. If it is possible, it seems like an interesting thing to try.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hum, sounds like a great winter project. I have never propagated one from seed but seems like it could work. I would plant several seeds in a small pot full of rich garden soil. Try placing them at different levels and record which seeds are at the levels for future reference. For example, just below grade and then gradually down to say, 1/2 inch or so. Put the pot in an East window and keep the soil moist. Really sounds like an interesting off season project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try those.

And yes, I think it would be interesting to do. And really what else would the seeds be good for?

My giant taro had 6 more blooms (the second time for that plant this year with that many at once) and I'm waiting for those pods to dry. I'll gather them up when the time comes and see what happens,

Wish me luck and thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try those.

And yes, I think it would be interesting to do. And really what else would the seeds be good for?

My giant taro had 6 more blooms (the second time for that plant this year with that many at once) and I'm waiting for those pods to dry. I'll gather them up when the time comes and see what happens,

Wish me luck and thanks again.
You are very welcome! If you have kids this would make a sensational science project. Best of luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like an interesting project. Do let us know if you get germination. I'm going to try something similar this winter with seed from the Thalia dealbata in my water garden. I will just plant the seeds in bog-saucer pots. I'll keep some indoors and leave the rest outside over winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It would make a good science project, especially if it works! But no kids and much too old to start now!
I'm not sure if this will work with taro seeds, but when I wanted to start some seeds a couple of years ago, I got GREAT propagation results by this method;

get a ziplock baggie, insert the correct size paper towel, put in seeds (separate so they don't touch), then mist the inside. Close the baggie, keep in a dark place, check regularly for growth. Btw, after you mist, turn the baggie OVEr so the seeds are actually beneath the paper towel now; when you get growth, it now won't stick/grow into the paper towel making their removal to a seed pot a lot easier.

Maybe this helps! I grew a bunch of different flowers and veggies the year I tried this method. And not sure if taro need cold stratification, so do read up on that part. Some of my Japanese lilacs needed this and I wasn't even aware (explaining why they didn't germinate on the first pass).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the suggestions and information, and that link of course.

I grow most all our food and lots of flowers, even some shrubs and trees from seeds. I start all my seeds with paper towels and Ziplock bags. Everything seems to germinate better that way for me. Good tip about keeping the roots out of the paper.

If I get any taro seeds, l will likely try a few with that method as well as others.

Keep your fingers crossed and I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Been reading and re-reading the link that addy1 posted. Thanks for that, Addy. It is the most helpful thing I have read online. Very informative, but a bit confusing at first. I think I'm getting the gist of it, but this looks like more of a challenge that I had thought it might be. What else is new?

Since I have only one giant taro plant that now could be getting ready to produce seeds, it would have had to self-pollinate. For some reason not stated in the article, at least not that I have found as yet, that is undesirable. Seems they would prefer hand pollinating from at least 2 different plants. I might be able to do that with other taros here, if they would bloom at the same time, but not with this single plant.

I'm not sure what their goal is, but mine is just to see if I can grow another plant, so it might not be relevant. Just might not be so likely to get good seeds with one plant.

Anyway, my seeds may not be viable. But I'm going to give it my best shot anyway.

I was surprised that the seeds are tiny. I expected them to be huge.

Going to be an interesting journey, no matter how it turns out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Been reading and re-reading the link that addy1 posted. Thanks for that, Addy. It is the most helpful thing I have read online. Very informative, but a bit confusing at first. I think I'm getting the gist of it, but this looks like more of a challenge that I had thought it might be. What else is new?

Since I have only one giant taro plant that now could be getting ready to produce seeds, it would have had to self-pollinate. For some reason not stated in the article, at least not that I have found as yet, that is undesirable. Seems they would prefer hand pollinating from at least 2 different plants. I might be able to do that with other taros here, if they would bloom at the same time, but not with this single plant.

I'm not sure what their goal is, but mine is just to see if I can grow another plant, so it might not be relevant. Just might not be so likely to get good seeds with one plant.

Anyway, my seeds may not be viable. But I'm going to give it my best shot anyway.

I was surprised that the seeds are tiny. I expected them to be huge.

Going to be an interesting journey, no matter how it turns out.
its quite possible someone else near you has a taro also. And, without researching this, but do taros come true from seed or do you need cultivars to get what you want? Some plants are like this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for your input. I do appreciate everyone's ideas.

From what I understand, taros will breed true from seeds. I have more than enough taro plants, but only one of this particular type.

If I wanted to cross them, which I don't, none of the others is currently blooming, or has recently bloomed as the giant one has. So that is not a possibility anyway.

I'm going to take my chances with what I have and see what happens.

Ask a Question