Hello from Northern BC Canada

Reaction score
Hey all,

Ive been lurking on the forum for quite some time now, and thought I would actually register and be part of the madness. :)

We just currently bought a house in Charlie Lake BC, and thought I would try my hand at a pond (my very first one) before I got head over heels into it I thought I would make one with what was on hand. The previous owners were horse enthusiasts and left behind 2 large water troughs , 180 galoons . They also left behind what I presume was the garden, the soil is aweful! and very over grown with weeds. So I tilled it over and figured I would just put raised garden beds in. So I tied my theme together and made a wood bench surround for the water trough that matches the raised planters. Ive only spent 24$ on this endevour so far and am using the left over scrap wood that they left behind from their fencing (not treated). The pond is about 3/4 above ground and the rest I dug into the dirt until I ran into Shale....

I am treating the tub (pond) as thought it were my indoor tank.. So I have the water on a cycle right now, Did a water change on my indoor tank and added that water to the pond as well as a filter that I have been running in my aquarium so It has alot of good bacterial start for the pond. I will add a few pictures later of my attempts , once I get my camera back from the shop.

I have found alot of information from this site and appreciate the wealth of knowledge that I have aquired thus far. Thank you :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
thwelcomewagon.gif
CherryDog
Is that a real bear in your avatar?

Reaction score
It sure is a real bear cub , he was rescued . It took three days for him to come down the tree . His dead mother laying on the ground from poachers or maybe someone that didnt want it on their land any longer. Finally got him into the kennel and then off to the wildlife refuge just out of town here where all of the orphan cubs go to be raised by Leona, and then reintroduced back into the wild. Usually she doesnt let anyone on to her property, but I use to work for the bcspca, and this was a special case, we generally do not handle wildlife, only "conservation officers", but they would rather nature take its course and for the cub to starve to death.

a video of the bears at Leonas, I brought them some kibble for a treat.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and sounds like you know what you are doing and maybe you have a few tricks up your sleeve to show us .I know colleen is from Canada and really has helped me figure things out .And I live in a warm state .I had 2 baby cubs here that they caught momma out by the highway and the cubs were sitting in my apple tree eating away .Animal control got them and reunited them with there momma ,it was so cute .They brought the cage truck up here with momma and as soon as she saw her babies she started grunting and making noises and they went running to the truck and they just hooked them and put them in the other pen and took them back up to the mountains .Funny momma was groggy but when she heard her babes she called them or smelled them not sure which .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Here I am!! I love the little cub you saved from certain death! Just love northern BC, was born in Dawson Creek BC, so nice to hear from you. Don't know you yet, but already I sure like you! You can tell your an "animal person" with a big heart! Looking forward to hearing more about your pond and wildlife stories and pictures. :)

Reaction score
Bears are fascinating creatures. I was given the bear as my totem when I was younger... I never quite understood it until I grew up.

Well today is another day! Ive already drank my share of coffee out in the dessert plot... errr garden plot.. And am contimplating some idears! Ive also found my old Fluval 405 and was thinking of plumbing it into the pond to help jump start the process with more goodies in the filter. Ive also found some Sweetflag which I plopped down into the bottom in the river rock that I gathered. Sweetflag will survive totally submerged under water Im hoping?.

Reaction score
Hi Colleen! Oh good you are familiar with the neck of the woods I am in then :) I grew up in Hudson's Hope and moved to Fort St. John about 7 years ago. I took a peek at the pond photography forum and came across one of your topics, your fish are georgous and so is your pond! I think ive already talked the hubby into allowing me to do a bigger project off in the wooded area of the property !! But he's a smart cookie, he knows to let me run with my imagination lol

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yum Coffee, sometimes I think I live on it! Ha ha ha. I got sweet flags too, the large type that grow to four or five feet, and they freeze very hard on the pond shelf in only a foot of water and are very hardy, you can't kill them know how! I just gave another large piece away to a friend the day before, did you know that when you crush the tall spikes they have fragrance that can be used in home made soaps and stuff?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome! Great to have you here :) Those bears are so adorable - I'm glad they have been rescued!

Ask a Question