Hello from the High Desert - Long Post Lots of Pics :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It really was a very informative show and there were some good things that happened among the sad. Interesting to watch the way the dogs interact w/ each other and have their leader and friends and family. What they have to go through to survive, always getting kicked out of where they think they have found a home to keep warm and dry and call their own. Too bad all people aren't more responsible when it comes to caring for their pets.

Reaction score
You've done a great job with your pond (and your yard) Pecan.
I'm also interested in your ditch irrigation system, please post some pictures showing the canal and the gates and your flooded yard. I have seen systems of canals and locks used for rice fields and fish farms, but never to water the lawn. lol. Are there any fish in that canal? Do you end up with fish in your grass sometimes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good news! We noticed last night the water is now running :) no more moving a sprinkler around to water for the year :) We will open the gate for the first time tonight to see how it floods. We normally have ditch work to do the first flood of the year. I will take some pictures.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They used to irrigate that way in phoenix, not sure if any places are left that have the gates and canals. Now they just want an arm and a leg for the cost of the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
When I lived in Phoenix way back when I was a child, the "irrigation man" would come once a week and open the "steering wheel" in our front yard and flood the yard. That's what I called him and the wheel thingy. LOL I used to go out in my bare feet after he left and pick up crawdads that were walking around. The yards were set up high on the edges so the water stayed in the yard. I thought it was great fun, my mom not so much, when I brought her a bucket of "lobsters" for supper! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Pecan, my daughter lives in Price, and just bought 12 acres. She has a certain amount of "water shares" and said she has enough to water her garden, but not to water all her property. She doesn't have as canal that runs through, or would flood her property, though. I think they pump it into pipes on the high end and cut trenches for it to run to the low end slowly for the fields of alfalfa. Pretty neat looking! Or, they have irrigation sprinkler systems that roll over the property. Your way sounds lost more fun. I also want to know how many critters end up on your yard, stranded out of water!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I got out there with big intentions to water but it was not to be. Too much work was needed clearing the ditch :( I don't like clearing ditches so much... I would much rather muc out my pond. LOL

Anywho, I'll see if I can get it going tomorrow.

Country, I haven't seen any critters other than slugs ewww. I think the water might move too fast for a lot of critters. But the robins love it. As soon as we start flooding they come in droves to fish for worms.

Reaction score
That's a wonderful picture sequence and, to sum it up best, WOW! Gorgeous place, pond and atmosphere.
Tony

Ask a Question