Heron VS Hawk

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a gazebo next to my pond. I get both hawks and herons sitting on top of it surveying the pond and surrounding area. The other day a heron perched on the gazebo and the hawk came by and flew at it. In a few more minutes the hawk came back and actually slammed into the heron, knocking it off balance and causing it to fly away. I had no idea hawks were territorial. It was an amazing thing to see.

1697448176546.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a gazebo next to my pond. I get both hawks and herons sitting on top of it surveying the pond and surrounding area. The other day a heron perched on the gazebo and the hawk came by and flew at it. In a few more minutes the hawk came back and actually slammed into the heron, knocking it off balance and causing it to fly away. I had no idea hawks were territorial. It was an amazing thing to see.

View attachment 160865
Oh pray you never go for a walk in the woods and come along a Goswing hawk with young. They will attack us . Ask me how I know..
"little bastard" hawks have talons very sharp .

The heron just have a lethal Beak to be honest I think if a heron had no choice it would destroy a hawk. Heron are very fast and accurate with that beak . It's longer that a hawk is tall, so if the heron went to spear a hawk, as the hawk dove at the heron. It would reach vital organs as the talons would just be scratching at the beak of the heron.
But in nature hawks are a bit more aggressive than is a heron.

Ask a Question