Hi everyone new to the group and after a bit of advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG-20230702-WA0000.jpg

Hi everyone need some help this is my pond it's been running for just over a year no matter what I do about every 3 to 4 days my water is so green I can't even see the fish I got a UV on it a large pump and a 10000lt bio filter is there anything else I can do thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's has a

Hozelock Bioforce Revolution Pressurised Filter 9000 and pump with UV then a bigger separate UV on it​

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pond is insanely overstocked. You might have room for a single koi, but that's all.

The recommended stocking rate is one koi for the first 1000 gallons and 500 gallons for each additional koi.

Your system can't keep up with that much waste and you have no.plants to help draw off the ammonia being produced. The algae is stepping in to use that excess ammonia and is probably keeping your fish alive.

What are your water tests showing?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome
You may call that a pond but as you know it's closer to a fish tank. One that as mentioned is overstocked. I fully understand the beauty of multiple fish swimming around. But at what cost.

Pick out your two best koi then look at minnows get a breed that schools. To me a schooling group of fish no matter how small are even more interesting than watching a couple larger fish and their impact on the tank is next to nothing..

So what can you do to combat green water. Water changes and lesson the waste. That includes feedings even after you cut back on fish.

By the way one breed I have found to be very interesting in the new geneticly altered glow fish the Danis to be exact . They love to school and even though they are a bit hokey in the aquarium at the pet store when they school it's a crazy spash of color.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
wlcome fly paint.gif
@kurt1985
Those koi will need to have a huge pond very soon or it won't just be your water turning yucky. Your fish may start to die :(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Less fish, plants = less algae / green water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your advice I got them all very small so time to find them a new home and start again
Maybe try some Shubunkin goldfish in there but still not too many as all fish need room to breath and grow. A pond would be much better as then you would have room for some nice big plants to suck up excess fish poo nutrients.

Shubinkins

Shubbies1.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Too many fish will produce more waste than your biofilter can handle. Excess waste equals algae. Or, algae is a symptom.

Ask a Question