Howdy from Cascadia!

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We're up north of Bellingham, WA, just south of the Canadian border.
I spent most of my life in Seattle, and build a cute preformed pond in my backyard there. I had to move not long after, and am finally getting back into ponding again.
We're on a wee subsistence farm with lots of wildlife, so when we discovered/disturbed a western toad in our cabbage patch this summer, we figured we should add some water to the place (besides the dog water and stock troughs). It was also massively droughty, so the water would be nice for our usual tree frog army.
So we dug a hole, plunked an unused 80 gallon trough in it, added a tiny fountain pump we had stored away, tossed in a few potted plants, and soon as we had it up and running, some silly people brought home a few feeder fish from the pet store :rolleyes:

Anyway, the toad went off somewhere (not to the toad house we made) and the tree frogs are in their winter near-hibernation (except for the one who always takes up residence in my fall lettuce starts on the back porch, who ended up getting a heated free-range vivarium, with soaking 'pool', built, which he only vacated when temps dropped to the teens recently), leaving the little pond with it's hardy plants and thriving goldfish to winter over. I'm planning to screen off the plants so any frogs who want to can safely lay eggs, but once spring gets here we plan to make a 200-300 gallon pond with bog filter.

When we're not earning our paychecks, we grow food, breed specialty laying hens, waste time online, do genealogy, play cornet, and fix up our tiny old farm cabin.

:chicken:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group, your home sounds wonderful! :)

Ask a Question