I wonder how much stress this weather causes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
You guys had bad weather last year? We had 60-degree weather into the first week of February, then a bit of snow, then it warmed up enough that I was able to start digging the pond by mid-March. We had almost no rain/snow through last Winter, which was pretty hard on the plants around my yard, and my fish really never went into 'hibernation'. At least this year is feeling more like a regular Winter, and we're getting occasional snowfall to keep the ground moist.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last winter turned cold and stayed cold. The pond froze over around november and stayed frozen until the end of february. Not that much snow, nothing like the 60 inches the year before. But cold cold cold.
This year we are running 20 some degrees above normal, then down to cold , 10 degrees in the last week. They are saying 59 degrees today. Very little rain or snow, very dry winter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its january and i have yet to fire up the snow blower.....pull out a shovel or even a broom...rock salt is sitting doing nothing as well!...sheesh, maybe there is something to gloal warming...lol.....maybe i'll pull out the mower and go over the lawn once more, you know and rake up any leaves layin' round..... normally i'd be starting to get sick of winter by now...its seems i'm still waiting for it to start!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol no kidding, 63 here today..............out in shorts and t-shirt.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, 73 here and pond temps are back to 57 degrees. Had ice on the pond Monday and Tuesday. Haven't had a day yet when the temps stayed below 32 all day this whole season. Adyy, I haven't had shorts on but i did just get back from taking a trip to the store on the motorbike. It's NICE weather here at least for today!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was out digging to put in the lawn faucet things Had to dig 2 trenches about 30 feet long and then dig holes for the drain pits .I have been wanting to do it and decided now is the time ,Should have saved work and did it when we did the electrical

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Shoulda woulda coulda,lol! How's your back sissy? I go out walking each day w/ addy and I take a couple Ibuprophen before I go or else I come home sore as heck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
backs great as I wear a back brace while i'm digging .I have about 10 feet on one trench to go and about 5 feet on the other .I guess since it has been wet here the digging was easy .Next i have to dig the pits for the back flow of those frost free hydrants .Then all that has to be done is dig by the well and find the pipe and cut the electric and cut the pipe and put the T connectors on and clamps and then heat tape seal them and then back fill and connect the hydrants put stone in the pits around the hydrants .Has been real easy and so far simpler than I thought .saying that while my fingers are crossed and hope all goes well .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well good you have nice weather to work in...........getting colder here now but no rain today. Wish we could get some really nice sunny weather like some here have been blessed with. At least we aren't freezing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sounds like nebraska this winter...been warmer than usual in the upper 40's to 70 last week! I could have left my fish outside (so far), but they are tucked away on the back porch for winter. Finally got a cold snap yesterday/today tough...darn it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It has been cold here at night getting down to to 27 dgrees but the days range from 50 degrees all the way up to the high 60's and feels like spring .After last winter I can't complain .Pond filters are still running and even still have a few irises that are up under the front porch still blooming .I guess when real spring gets here flowers will be exhausted and I will have to fertilize them .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we get back from out of state at the end of this month, if the weather is still doing this warm thing, I am going to fire up our pumps. It will be mid february. But then again mr winter could decide to finally hit, we have been cool again 30 during the day, low 20 at night.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
THIS IS AS BAD OF WEATHER AS WE HAVE HAD THIS WINTER SEASON........ WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED THIS YEAR? ITS MID JANUARY AND THIS IS AS MUCH SNOW AS WEVE HAD ON THE GROUND AT ONE TIME!!!
SANY1642.jpg

SANY1643.jpg

SANY1644.jpg
THAT LAZY DEER HASNT MOVED IN 3 OR 4 YEARS...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have just had some dustings of snow, can hardly even measure the amount. maybe 1/4 inch this year, maybe. Occasional cold night and day. OW warm warm warm, well warmer than normal, 50's and 60's in january.

Ask a Question