Inherited pond newbie !

Reaction score
Hello All !!
I just moved into a house that i love! AND it has a great pond, just outside the back door. Downside? it has been neglected for many months. it currently reminds me of the la brea tar pits - complete with 'oil slick' on the surface. so far, from what i can find on the internet, it looks like i will be renting a pump this weekend, and will spend all day draining (dredging) scrubbing (NO CLEANERS) rinse and repeat. I have NO clue what kind of plants / fish i should introduce- or when. Any suggestions would be fab!

here is a 'before' shot

Attachments

• ewwww pond.jpg
    ewwww pond.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
Welcome to the group, and congrats on your new home and ponds!

You'll find a lot of wonderful pond folks here, so as you think of your questions, dont hesitate to ask away!

Regarding what plants and fish to add... how many gallons are the ponds? If you dont know, just post the length, width, and average depth, and someone here can tell you... Do either of these ponds have filtration set ups on them? If so, what? IF there are filtration systems, and you dont know what they are, pictures will help folks here help you figure it out.

Reaction score
I know there is a waterfall on the small one. I will get all the dims tonight.... and take lots of pics on my progress. On the large pond- the best i can tell you at this time is that i could easily fit three full size vehicles in it- and it currently has no water, but about 2' of leaves. i can see some obvious tears in the liner. that one seems to be a huge undertaking, so i am going to focus first on the small pond. i KNOW there are dead things in there- frogs for sure. I feel like once i get past enduring the smell- the rest of it should be reasonable easy. :goodnight:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome rink_a_dink from the UK Plymouth to be exact.
Depending on the size of both ponds pumps filtration etc you will be able to keep koi or goldfish sounds like the one at the back of your house is a large pond.
After cleaning try to meter the water vack in by using a water meter, this will give you an accurate idea of how many gallons US you have to play with ( also very important should you need to treat your fish at a later date).
Fish keeping is a most relaxing hobby as you wll find out.
Some people take to the hobby others dont but remember you must maintain things and do partial water changes from time to time.
I would suggest you read up on the hobby first to give you an idea .
Happy Fish Keeping for the future.... most of all though dont be embarrased to ask quetions, remember weve all been where your at i:e the start of a wonderful hobby my partner Val and I are still keeping koi after 27 years, there is nothing more relaxing than to sit by the pond in the summer watching you fish swim by . :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:

rgrds

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
crazywelcome4.gif
rink_a_dink
You have lots of work to do and looks like you'll need a new liner for the ripped one. Never had to patch anything like that but others here have had some experience w/ it. Better to just bite the bullet and get a new one I think. Much luck on the clean outs and I vote for goldfish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
rink_a_dink said:
I know there is a waterfall on the small one. I will get all the dims tonight.... and take lots of pics on my progress. On the large pond- the best i can tell you at this time is that i could easily fit three full size vehicles in it- and it currently has no water, but about 2' of leaves. i can see some obvious tears in the liner. that one seems to be a huge undertaking, so i am going to focus first on the small pond. i KNOW there are dead things in there- frogs for sure. I feel like once i get past enduring the smell- the rest of it should be reasonable easy. :goodnight:
rink_a_dink three whole cars sounds like a koi pond to me :LOL: sometimes its best just to buy a new liner rather than patch an old one as you dont know how old it is, they have I believe a 20 year life span nmaybe a little more .

rgrds

Dave

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would look at buying a cheap pump rather than renting one, you will probably need it again and will pay for itself in no time. You can find them cheap at harbor freight that is where I got mine, I think it was around $25 several years ago. there is a lot of good info on here you will have to weed through all the opinions and find what is best for your pond.

Welcome to the forum..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome!!!
I agree with Todd (T'mann), buy a pump. If you move the gunk to one side, and let the water settle, the new pump can be put in there with a nice sized tube/pipe and you can pump the water out with it. Then, you will have a good sized pump for when you are ready to start up your new pond. And, with a good sized pump, you can "T" it off to run several things, like fountains, spitters, waterfalls, etc. I have a 4200 gph pump in my 4000 gal koi pond, and it runs my fountain and waterfall. It could also run a spitter, too, if I wanted to add one. Check out all sorts of sites for pond prices. Or, you can get a cheap pump and use it to pump the cleaner water, then much out the rest with a bucket, but be ready for some yucky smells coming from the mud. Not sure where you will have to go to dump that, but not close to any homes. If you live near the country, and know anyone with farm fields, they may let you dump it on their field if you spread it out some. When farm ponds are dredged out, that silted in dirt is usually pretty rich in nutrients, just smells to high heaven.
Then, once you get the pond cleaned out, let the fun begin!!! Lots of us on here will be watching and waiting to see what you all come up with, also on the large pond. We want to see pics, too. Glad you took a pic of the smaller pond as is now.

Reaction score
I shuddered when you said "scrub." Don't do that. As yucky as it might be, the pond still has some valuable ecosystem members that you should keep.

My approach would be:

Net out leaves, crud -- anything solid -- and put it on your compost pile. If you don't have a compost pile yet, this is great stuff to start it with.

Get a little pump from Harbor Freight, take it to Home Depot (or the like) and get some hose that fits it. Put the pump in the pond and let it empty the dirty water. You can rinse the liner with a hose during this process, but all you need to do is rinse off the loose stuff.

Toss in some dechlorinator and fill the pond with water.

Empty the filter and hose off all of it's contents. Make sure water can go through all the pipes. Then put it back together and attach the pump hose.

Turn it on and see if it works.

You'll probably find something that doesn't work right, but once it's all working, you can put in a nice water lily or your choice of other plants. Get a test kit and test your water to make sure it's fit for fish. Once it is, get a little goldfish or two (it doesn't look big enough for koi) and see how they do. If they are doing fine after two weeks, you can add an additional fish each week -- just don't get carried away and add too many.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Oh, how exciting ... a new place with a lovely large yard to play in. Fun times ahead, who needs a gym when you've got a yard and garden!

I'm going to second and third a few comments. First, skip the pump rental - you are going to need a decent pump, and in fact, you will need a spare - so I would just bite the bullet and go and buy this Pondmaster pump - Pondmaster Mag 5 570 GPH. * It is a good quality low energy pump that will last you quite a while, and you can use it while you are getting the pond up and running. Just looking at your picture and guessing at the pond size, I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of 500 - 600 GPH will get the water circulating. And circulating water is life.

Oh, and speaking of life - don't be surprised to find many live things down in the pond. You might think it's la brea moved into your own backyard, but a goldfish or two or three could be lurking away down there as snug as a bug in a rug. Dead frogs? Is it possible they jumped in and couldn't get back out? Is it still cold in DFW area? Could they still be hibernating?

Regardless of what the pond looks like, it is full of life - beneficial bacteria that folks pay lots of money in concentrated gallons to get their ponds going. Shakaho is right, I would not scrub away all that good stuff. Bucket or net out the really gunky leaves and things, and start moving the water. if you get the big stuff out, it would be fairly easy to get a temporary filter set up to start catching smaller stuff. You are on city water I assume? City water will have chemicals that will kill all the life in your pond, so you will want some place to hold water while you can treat it, temporarily. Trash cans work pretty good for this. And you can use your new pump to pump water into and out of the pond.

You'll get advise all over the place in here, but if it were me - I would start getting the gunk out, get the water moving and work on letting a temporary filter clean things up ... then you can better assess what you have to work with.

Oh, and by getting the water moving, what I have in mind is simply dropping the pump in the bottom of the pond and letting it circulate water on the bottom of the pond. Leave the waterfall connection and hookup for another time. Of course, you can't really drop a non-solids handling pump on the bottom of a pond until you get most of the big gunk off the bottom.

Another oh. A good temporary filter, for example, would be a laundry basket or milk crate filled with wadded up bird netting. Sit the tub/crate on top of something like a concrete block inside your pond. Put the pump on the bottom of the pond, connect tubing to the output and stick the far end on the top of the tub of netting. Probably a good idea to tie or clamp the tubing end in place so it doesn't flop around and outside the pond. You will want the bird netting wadded up fairly well. Every few days, pull the tube, bring the tub and netting out to the pond - find a good spot in the garden that needs fertilizer and spray it really good with the water hose. Put it back in the pond. Rinse and repeat every few days. After a while, you'll want to start adding a finer netting to start catching the smaller particles, but we leave it there for now!

After you figure out what you've got to work with, and take a look around at some ideas of what kind of ponds are possible, you can start to get an idea of what YOU want from your pond and what you want to put into your pond.

Oh, and enjoy the journey!

* Laguna and Oase are other good quality low energy pumps but I didn't see them in lower GPH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great points by Dianne above! I thought the same thing about the possibility of fish or frogs or turtles lurking down in the muck. I back paddle and agree that you should remove as much of the big stuff as possible, and not pump out the pond. Very good idea. Others on this forum use quilt batting, put it in a laundry basket on the outside of the pond, or above it so that the water can flow back into the pond. Dianne, do you have a pic that you can post of your idea? I wonder how you keep the stuff from falling out of it as you pull it out to rinse off? I'm always up for new ideas!
The best part is you get to start out new with plants and fish.

Ask a Question