It's almost Halloween - scare me!

Reaction score
Country
United States
What's the scariest, worst, or most frustrating pond-related experience you've had? Maybe I can learn something from it or maybe people will just commiserate. Either way, it should be a good read!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Northern water snakes inhaling the frogs and fish. I had a summer long invasion and catching the suckers, last year. This year just a few.

They ate over 200 fish, I have now around less than 75. Last summer I bought 250 to add to my fish. Gone!

But this year I actually see fry.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Spring startup with a holding tank full of rotted leaves. 500 gallons of hydrogen sulfide dumped into pond. Lost 90% of koi, rest had fin and tail rot.
Hubby just reminded me of morning pond looked like it was boiling. GFI failed and pond was electrified. Lost all large koi.
Fun times!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Northern water snakes inhaling the frogs and fish. I had a summer long invasion and catching the suckers, last year. This year just a few.

They ate over 200 fish, I have now around less than 75. Last summer I bought 250 to add to my fish. Gone!

But this year I actually see fry.
😮 you're very brave to catch them. I hate snakes! I can see why the bravery was needed though. That's a lot of fish!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All the wire fencing, netting and rope and this bird still snuck in! Had to reinforce the wire fence w/more wire to make gaps smaller. That worked so now it just comes and paces all around and then leaves very disappointed :smuggrin:

IMG_9519.JPG

Grouchy look on his face now as he/she just stares and cannot have sushi anymore!

IMG_8704.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Putting the liner in the wrong way. Had unrolled the liner for what I thought was the long way, but it was the short end (35' x 25'). You will find out when you get your liner but it is very heavy. So turning it the right way was heavy lifting and awkward. Wife was helping and she was not pleased at all (she was having doubts about the pond build anyway, this pushed her over the edge). Angry wife is scarier than anything Halloween can throw at you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Building a pond for wildlife and realizing the deer have no manners whatsoever! Oh man, was I annoyed when they kept coming in and eating ALL the waterlilies. The plants didn't even get a chance to grow. I finally covered all the access points with way too many branches and sticks (it looked ridiculous) and got a Scarecrow motion detector sprinkler. The two things together really served as a good deterrent. I am hopeful that the plants will have had a good enough start to be established enough to handle some grazing next year. If not, I have another tree to cut down and back the branches will go!

Reaction score
Country
United States
All the wire fencing, netting and rope and this bird still snuck in! Had to reinforce the wire fence w/more wire to make gaps smaller. That worked so now it just comes and paces all around and then leaves very disappointed :smuggrin:

View attachment 161062

Grouchy look on his face now as he/she just stares and cannot have sushi anymore!

View attachment 161063
Do you have to leave that up year-round, or is it just seasonal?

Building a pond for wildlife and realizing the deer have no manners whatsoever! Oh man, was I annoyed when they kept coming in and eating ALL the waterlilies. The plants didn't even get a chance to grow. I finally covered all the access points with way too many branches and sticks (it looked ridiculous) and got a Scarecrow motion detector sprinkler. The two things together really served as a good deterrent. I am hopeful that the plants will have had a good enough start to be established enough to handle some grazing next year. If not, I have another tree to cut down and back the branches will go!
Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do you have to leave that up year-round, or is it just seasonal?

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.
All year long forever and ever! Wish I didn't have to but here those birds can drop by during any season. Sure gives me and the fish peace of mind even if not the prettiest idea ever. Not too bad tho since it's up so high:

IMG_9631.JPG

Ask a Question