koi keep dying

queenpd

queenpd
Reaction score
Ok....we have treated our fish with rid ich and then with melafix to help with fungus and fin rot. They continue to get sick and die. We don't know what else to do or if were not doing something that should be done....please help :(

queenpd

queenpd
Reaction score
We just purchased new koi but previous koi and goldfish that were in the pond had gotten fungus and fin rot. So we brought them in the house and put them in the aquarium and treated them with rid ich and then I was told to treat with just melafix.we started treating with melafix 4 days ago and in that time we lost a small koi the 2 other goldfish that has the fungus seems to be getting better but the koi we just purchased the baby one is getting fin rot.
Our Aquarium is 1300 gallons.
We have tested the water and everything is normal. we have not done a water change because we're treating with Melafix.
The koi we just purchased is being quarantined.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had one from a neighbor and use tetracycline .You do have to change the water often

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Sorry to hear that your fish are sick. From my knowledge, ich medicine cures ich (a parasite) - not fungus or finrot. Melafix, again, in my experience, is for bacterial infections, but not advanced stages. IMO, it is a mild treatment. Also, with Melafix, you need to be sure to increase the oxygen in the water (air stone or the like). For fungus you need a fungus med. Finrot is usually bacterial in nature. Be sure to follow the directions on the meds. Some times meds cannot be used concurrently. I usually use the Microbe-Lift brand products for treatments. Good luck!

queenpd

queenpd
Reaction score
If their in advance stages like the koi we just lost is there a way to bring them back? Melafix states that it teats bacterial infections such as open red sores, fin & tail rot, cloudy eye, pop eye and open wounds. Also states do a 25% water change after 7 day treatment. are my fish too far gone? What else can we do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
See this link: http://www.microbelift.com/products/pond-and-water-garden/fish-health/defend/

It seems this product treats both fungus and fin rot, however, I have not tried it myself. I do use and trust the Microbe-Lift brand. Be sure to follow label directions!

I don't know what kind of shape your fish are in right now, so I couldn't tell you if they are "too far gone." Are they eating and swimming, or just laying? If they are still eating and swimming, I think you have a good chance. Prayers wouldn't hurt either!

Again, IMO, Melafix is a mild, natural treatment. I think you need something stronger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Right lets start from the basics what are your water perameters, Ammonia, Ph, Nitrite, Nitrate Kh please?
How many gallons is your pond, when was the last time you did a waterchange ?
When was the last time you cleaned your filters, do you have a working UV-C on the pond ?
Is the bottom of your pond clear of dead leaves ?
Do you have a working maintenance routine i'e all of the above ?
How many fish do you have in the pond, when did you add the latest and did you go about Quarentining for four weeks ?
Sorry its aot of questions but until we know the basics then we wont be able to help, you see depending on what you do or dont do can have a direct effect on the fish in the pond .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question