Koitoilet II Bottom Drain ABS?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I installed my bottom drain today. Well at least got it plumbed and leveled in. May be a few days before I install the liner to the drain itself. Been watching this thread and reading. I don't have a problem with freezing pipes so I though all was going good. Well my problem of the day. Glueing ABS to PVC. General abs-pvc glue will not hold on a Koi toilet II! I tried to glue the airline twice and it failed both times. I goggled glueing ABS and found a thread on Koiphen forum. Finally got someone to answer the question and found out you need ABS-PVC transition glue. No primer, Lowes had it for $4.97 and there is more than enough to get the connections made up for the 4" line and the 1" airline. It's a very small can and has a green label. Once I finally figured that problem out and got back everything went smooth so far after that.

Attachments

• koi pond build 025.JPG
    koi pond build 025.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 323
Reaction score
The most interesting thing about hot water freezing faster is how difficult it has been to prove or disprove. Seems so simple an experiment but every time a serious experiment is done the results only make it more confusing. Good article for those interested.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have a bottom drain, but all of my plumbing is done in PVC pipe. I put rubber couplers in 2 spots so I could take my pump out and right before my pvc goes into my bog. My hopes are that when the water freezes in the bog, it will just push the ice thru the pipe and out the open end. The other line I'm going to blow out with air and see what happens. I do know that warm water will freeze faster than cold water. Not sure how, but I have tried if before with filling ice cube trays and the one with warm water froze faster than the one with cold water.

We had a cold winter the first year of the bog, my lines did fine, even the ones just out in the open with water in them. I have more exposed lines with the replumbing, so it will be interesting to see how they do this winter. It can't drain the pond, can't even drain the bog, but we might end up with repairs, winter will tell.

Ask a Question