Landscaping/Hardscaping Around Your Pond

Reaction score
So much space! So little pond! If I had a chunk of land like that, I'd be breaking out the bulldozer... :troll:
Believe me if we had a bulldozer we may have gone larger! But digging by hand we thought this seemed big enough, now we are thinking of digging a second and adding a stream to connect them, but we will see!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Such beautiful ponds and I have so many ideas. I'll have to keep an eye out for some extra rocks to pick up. I think that will help along with adding in the perennials.

I love the idea of growing a soft thick moss around the pond. Has anyone had luck with that? I'm a real novice gardener so I don't know if that would do well in our red Virginia clay soil, but I may give that a shot.

Reaction score
I agree! Pictures would help a lot.

What kind of climate do you have, and what is the exposure for your pond? You mentioned Hostas, but here in the South, those guys like shade and morning sun exposure (would love to find some sun-tollerant Hostas, though -- like them and they look great around a pond!).

Day lilies are always nice.

Oh and rocks!
I posted some pictures above. We live in Virginia and the pond is in full sun. I have a whole bed of hostas that are in full sun. They were there when we bought the house. I think I'm going to thin them out and plant them by the pond to see how they do. Not sure why ours like the sun because I always thought they were shade lovers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Love rock pathways around ponds. Made one on one side of mine close to the front porch deck and would like to do it around the whole thing. Makes me tired thinking about it but I could do it a bit at a time. It's not hard either just time consuming. Here's a few pix of what I did. Colleen here did it all through her pond area and it looks great!
View attachment 70789
View attachment 70790
View attachment 70791
JW, I have a ton of smaller rounded river stones and thanks to you and Colleen, i'l be trying this out. Do you have a problem with weeds growing in in between the smaller stones? My back yard has been taken over by wild violets and i've almost given up fighting them.... almost.

Oh, and Ducky, WELCOME! I'm not too far away from you (comparatively speaking) over in Maryland near DC. Love what you've done and so jealous of all your space!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you get weeds coming up in the stones just squirt w/ some straight white vinegar on a hot day. It kills anything so don't get it on your plants or grass. Has to be on a hot day or it won't work as well. I usually just pull any tiny weeds I see when they first come up. I added sand in between the rocks also and so did Colleen.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies! Such beautiful ponds and I have so many ideas. I'll have to keep an eye out for some extra rocks to pick up. I think that will help along with adding in the perennials.

I love the idea of growing a soft thick moss around the pond. Has anyone had luck with that? I'm a real novice gardener so I don't know if that would do well in our red Virginia clay soil, but I may give that a shot.

I have some moss on some of the rocks around the pond but remember moss loves moisture and shade. Too much dry sun and it will die.
Here is a link on how to grow moss:
http://gardening.about.com/od/gardendesign/qt/How-To-Grow-Moss.htm

Ask a Question