Landscaping pond

Reaction score
My new small pond will be in mostly sun. What are some good plant I can plant around the pond to help with shape? Also what kind of plants look nice around ponds? I live in SC. I had some floating plants last summer, the fish loved them, delicious. I will be making some floating rings this year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh you have so much to choose from. It just depends a lot on what you like. I have evergreen bushes around mine and mini-tiger lilies, ornamental grasses, a Japanese maple, some sprawling ground cover.........there is just so much it's hard to name. Do you want it natural looking or more flowery w/ colors? Somebody posted a list of plants that were poison to the fish, kids and animals here once so maybe you can check that out if you do a search.
Here is what mine looks like planted in summer and winter:

NONAME24.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

Reaction score
I think I would like a Chinese maple or two behind the waterfall to sort of soften the rocks. My yard is filled with daylilies, phlox and azaleas.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The maples add nice color but remember they come w/ shedding leaves in the fall so be prepared to deal w/ that.
Some put bird netting over right before fall and then all they have to do is lift it off and get rid of the fallen leaves easier.
Otherwise you will be scooping them out w/ a net by hand or cleaning out the skimmer if you have one of those which I don't :cool:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ornamental grasses look nice near the pond. Unless you have a heavy snow fall they keep their plumes through the winter and to me look nice.

In the pond itself, there are a lot of options that can be place among the rocks, lilies, cattails etc. Depends on the look you want.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nova, you could do Japanese maple, black eyed susans, irises, spirea, liriope, lilac bush, plox, salvia, hostas, butterfly bush, ornamental grasses and an evergreen or two to give you color in the winter. You want to try and balance out the plants you put in as to when they will bloom so you can have some color from spring to fall.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice list taherrmann, everything you listed I have planted lol

Reaction score
In the morning I am going to load a truck full of rocks, recover for a couple days from a hurting back then will start putting together the small pond. I like Japanese maples but they are so expensive. I have the problem of being in full sun. Taherrmann, I see several plants in your list I could add.

Reaction score
Sweet potato vine will grow quick and soften the rocks around a waterfall with a nice cascade of green or you can get it in purple. It does well in the sun too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had sweet potato vine last year as I have a arched trellis over my waterfall but here that thing took off and I had to trim it every week I think I could see it growing .It provided good shade and I had 2 varieties of it .The shape of the leaves are pretty and some of the leaves got big .I liked it because it did not seem to shed leaves .The trellis I made out of of stuff that was metal that the guys left behind when they did my basement .waste not want not so I used it for that .I'm sure I paid for it so why not LOL

Ask a Question