Lotus from seed

Reaction score
Thought i would try some lotus from seed, have a dozon seeds germinated & about 2" long, doing well in a heated aquarium. when I plant them next week I have 3 large tubs ready to go. One with heavy "triple mix" soil, one with "clay loam" soil, & one with "cat litter", as I've seen others do. Thought I would see which works better. I was going to try a tub full of rabbit droppings & the muck I clean out of the pond filter but it sounds like I'd burn the little seedling with to much fertilzer? (it worked great with a tuber!)
Any thoughts? comments? or concerns?
Also has anyone tryed "Victoria Amazonica"? & with what success?

Thanks

Ken

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't have any success with starting lotus from seed. I let them start in a glass of water and after a few weeks would plant them in the pond in kitty liter and they would die. I have tried them in my aquarium and they would sprout but after a few weeks they died as well. This last time I just threw them in a pot that has kitty liter in it filled with water planted on my hill side and one fertilizer spike. It has done great, getting ready to start another one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have started 15 lotus seeds and they are now in my stock tank and these will soon be planted and put in the tank also .I found if you wait until they get a really good root system before planting them that they grow better

Attachments

• pee house pond 2012 023.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 023.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 313
  • pee house pond 2012 020.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 020.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 308
Reaction score
Sissy, So how long approx are you thinking I should grow before planting? & your suggesting just leaving them in clean empty containers, @ 80deg?
I started them in container in fishtank with water temp between 75-80, soaking then in water from RO filter (changed twice a day). Ive since put them in deeper containers, after they spouted, to get them reeaching higher.

Reaction score
The recommended Cat Litter is Special Kitty from Walmart. It currently is in a blue and red bag and runs a bit under $4.00 for 20#. It is free of frangrance. I believe they say it is pure clay.

:goldfish:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can also get a 10 lb bag of cheap litter at some dollar stores for a dollar .I sanded the end of the round side of the seed to the meat and 2 days later it was 2 inches tall and after 1week I gently pulled the outer shell away and then after 3 weeks I pulled half the seed away from the roots real gently and then if it had more than 5 healthy roots I planted it in kitty litter and oyster shells .The oyster shells i put on the bottom I think it seems to help the roots grow out better for some reason .I tried them with plain kitty litter but found the combo seems to give the roots something and makes them stronger and the plants seem to grow faster and thicker .Maybe it was the calcium from the shells not sure .I never really check temps on water ,I just keep them in my kitchen window and then they go into my outside stock tank 6 inches under the water

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
These in the window will soon be joining there buddies in the stock tank .The ones in the blue coffee can are the ones I just put in and the others are from 3 and 6 weeks ago .I also gave 6 plants away to neighbors for there ponds

Attachments

• house 2012 001.JPG
    house 2012 001.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 340
  • house 2012 005.JPG
    house 2012 005.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 369
  • house 2012 003.JPG
    house 2012 003.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 329
  • house 2012 012.JPG
    house 2012 012.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 327
  • house 2012 006.JPG
    house 2012 006.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 340

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is fairy moss and the fish just love it .I also have a lily in there for now that i am giving to a neighbor of mine .I just sanded off 9 more lotus seeds and put them in water for the plant store I go to .He has some pond plants and wanted lotus but had no luck with the seeds .I guess they love my kitchen window and stock tank .i have a 300 gallon stock tank that i will be using for them next since I am running out of room in this one .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Right now I have 30 black elephant ears growing both the large variety and the mini ones and about 20 green ones and at least 50 different kinds of cannas .They there are my passion flowers.Some plants I fail with and some are little to successful

Attachments

• waterfall 030.JPG
    waterfall 030.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 298
  • waterfall 001.JPG
    waterfall 001.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 289
  • house 2012 019.JPG
    house 2012 019.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 338
Reaction score
So the lotus plants I've planted in the kitty litter are not comming along nearly as good as the ones in the dirt or the clay. They look at least a week behind.
Should I stick a fertalizer stick in it, or will it burn the little guys off?
I can just leave them, I'm just super impatient! lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I add a cup of osmocote, slow release fertilizer, under the kitty clay when I plant them. You could add some fertilizer, just keep it away from the roots so you don't burn them.

Reaction score
I'll try a little bit of something see if they pick up a little.

The local water garden centre had a 40% of all plants sale, I'm going to have to cut back what I have to make room for what I picked up! lol
I did get a "empress" lotus, that should be a beauty when it blooms. And a real nice "yellow" lily.
My wife thinks I "have a problem"! lol

Ask a Question