My first pond build from start to (hopefully) finish

Reaction score
Waterbug, couldn't he just have gravel and rock covering the liner, to keep it from floating, if it is in fact clay soil and a high water table. When we had the preform it wouldn't float at all as long as there were a few heavy rocks in there and the water. As soon as we took out rocks and drained water though it would float. With the new pond, we have river rock on the bottom with larger boulders around the edges at the deepest pool. It doesn't sppear to have moved at all.
Yes, adding rocks can keep a liner down as long as there's enough weight and the liner is completely covered as taherrmann4 found. I gave some of the calculations at the end. This isn't a for sure fix. There's still pressure which could push loose rocks out of position or even crack mortared rock enough to push in a side.

A preform has some rigidity, so a single rock could be enough to keep it from floating, just like a boat. But you do run the risk of the structure failing completely because all the force is located is single point, or a few points. In a flexible liner the rock would probably stay at the bottom but the rest of the liner would float.

Reaction score
Okay, here you go guys.

These are pictures of the pond right after the excavator finished, nice bottom, the sides need alittle shaping but no big deal.

IMG_8389.jpg

Then the water started coming up. I dug a hole in the middle where the bottom drain is going to be and all the water is collecting there. It has started to rain again, and we got an inch in the last 24 hours. This is what it looked like this morning, which I didnt think was so bad considering the day before the water level was only an inch lower. Oh and for the record, where the water level is right now is about 4 feet down, which is where I wanted the floor of my pond.

IMG_8391.jpg

IMG_8393.jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

This is what it looked like after I pumped it out.

IMG_83912.jpg

So this is what I think my plan will be. I will make the bottom drain alittle longer and keep the sump in there to keep the water level low. Then when it gets warmer and drys I will be able to set my bottom drain and slope the floor. I will also bury some weeping tile in some gravel in the pond floor and have that come up beside the bottom drain line. That way the water should come up the weeping tile instead of pushing up on the liner and If i notice any issues I can feed a pipe down there and pump it out. The weeping tile should only be needed in the spring when our water level is high. When everything is ready for the liner I will pull the sump, fill the hole, and place the liner.

Can anyone think of any faults with this? the only thing I can think of is the weight of the water would crush the weeping tile.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So this is what I think my plan will be. I will make the bottom drain alittle longer and keep the sump in there to keep the water level low. Then when it gets warmer and drys I will be able to set my bottom drain and slope the floor. I will also bury some weeping tile in some gravel in the pond floor and have that come up beside the bottom drain line. That way the water should come up the weeping tile instead of pushing up on the liner and If i notice any issues I can feed a pipe down there and pump it out. The weeping tile should only be needed in the spring when our water level is high. When everything is ready for the liner I will pull the sump, fill the hole, and place the liner.

Can anyone think of any faults with this? the only thing I can think of is the weight of the water would crush the weeping tile.

I don't think the weight of the liner would crush the weeping tile. If you are concerned about that use the 4" pvc with the holes in and bury it in gravel. I would be interested in hearing which way you go and the results.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That looks like a nice size now and if you don't have a water problem when you fix it then it will be even better!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lol remember when it started out a small one because of space considerations ,funny when you start digging it grows and grows .I guess better to start big and then go bigger .

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your dogs are adorable and your work on the pond is looking very nice. Keep up the hard work, it's nice watching the progress.

Reaction score
I don't see why weeping tile would change anything.

im thinking the water will want to go the route with no resistance. instead of pushing the liner and water up, if you get it to come up the weeping tile where there is less resistance that is the route it will go. If im missing something and it doesnt work and still bubbles the liner up off the floor it can be used as a way to get an intake pipe in to remove the water.

Reaction score
Well did a bunch of work today, made the pit in the bottom of the pond a little bigger and put some gravel in. Took measurements and put together the plumbing for the bottom drain and set it in for a "dry fit". Everything seems to be going okay except that the bottom of the pond is still soaking wet and im not able to slope the bottom. I was going to concrete the bottom drain in place but have decided to wait until the bottom is finished first so now im stuck (pun intended) until the bottom dries.

IMG_83922.jpg

IMG_83932.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hope you get some dray weather then, so you can continue with our construction. Good luck! Looking really good. Yours is going to be the first bottom drain I am going to witness the construction of, start to finish. :)

Reaction score
We just got a ton of rain. The bottom is so wet the dirt is like soup. The kicker is I was pretty sure it was starting to dry out before we got all this rain. Forecast is calling for showers on friday, looks like this wont be done for a while.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn, oh well can't control the rain.

Reaction score

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Jardinier, Nice build but the post really should be moved to your own thread. Unless your volunteering helpful information and willing to give a helping hand I think you should delete and place in the appropriate area. I'll leave the links for now as there may be something he can use but this is his start to finish thread. Would you want someone elses build in yours?

Ask a Question