My fish lice saga continues

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So, a third fish died today. At this point I don’t know if this was a secondary infection from prior lice bites (the lice are not completely gone but the level is very low in the pond right now, I’ve only seen one in the past week) or just a slow death from last month’s vet-recommended overuse of the DimlinX. Aquatic vet is not really responsive, either Water quality is fine, bog is running fine, ammonia, nitrite are zero, nitrates nearly 0 (definitely far less than 5 on the API Master Test kit, possibly also 0). So far all the other fish seem fine. I guess I will treat with Prazipro pre-emptively just in case.
TIME TO SALT THE POND

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
So I just dissected the fish and I’m not an expert at this, only done it half a dozen times, but I’ve never seen kidneys that look like that, I’m assuming severe poly cystic kidney disease. All other organs looked perfect but the abdominal cavity was full of water and instead of pink the kidneys were brown and filled with cysts. So, may have just been a coincidence, this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had one with polycystic kidney disease this year too, a two year old that had never thrived and always swam a bit off kilter. It died when the weather got hot. In other species that condition is often congenital, but I don’t know about goldfish. Well done for doing a necropsy!

Ask a Question