new fish causing chaos-what to do???

Reaction score
Well Done Lily!
If you don't have them already, an ammonia and pH test kit are a priority for starting any new fish pond or aquarium. A reagent type like API or similar is the most reliable. The Ammonia tests that use 2 bottles of reagent and one test tube are more reliable.

Reaction score
Around here, we also call Bream "perch". Perch are a type of cichlid, and in my experience, just about any cichlid are aggressive and easily angered. When angered they get violent. This is why people have such luck fishing for largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, crappie, perch, and striper in north america. Not only can you get them to bite out of hunger, but out of aggression.

If your bream is a perch or any other type of cichlid, I'd take him out of the koi pond and put him in a tank or pond with only other cichlids in it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
BennyLava said:
Around here, we also call Bream "perch". Perch are a type of cichlid, and in my experience, just about any cichlid are aggressive and easily angered. When angered they get violent. This is why people have such luck fishing for largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, crappie, perch, and striper in north america. Not only can you get them to bite out of hunger, but out of aggression.

If your bream is a perch or any other type of cichlid, I'd take him out of the koi pond and put him in a tank or pond with only other cichlids in it.

I used to have a tank of cichlids, 175 gallon inside tank, no kidding about being aggressive, they had the tank to themselves. It was fun to watch them have fry, watch the fry grow and the old cichlids pass on, the tank cycled itself with fish very nicely.

So totally agree with you bennylava, keep cichlids away from peaceful fish.

Keep working at it lily you will get there in the end. So far we just have water! (one day old water, no filter no pump running lol but water!)

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
DrDave said:
We all had to start somewhere. fortunatley for you, there are a lot of folks here to help.
When I started, they didn't even have computers. LOL
me either mostly error.

A fish that turns upside down in the water has air in the stomach,due to poor diet can be the cause.
........Or lack of food
Not all goldfish can be housed together.A fancy tail goldfish is much slower than his cousin the single tail goldfish,therefore it will struggle to eat because it is much slower.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
DrDave said:
We all had to start somewhere. fortunatley for you, there are a lot of folks here to help.
me either mostly error.

A fish that turns upside down in the water has air in the stomach,due to poor diet can be the cause.
........Or lack of food
Not all goldfish can be housed together.A fancy tail goldfish is much slower than his cousin the single tail goldfish,therefore it will struggle to eat because it is much slower.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:

Laughing, showing our age............umm experience!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:

Reaction score
addy1 said:

What's that old saying? " I kept fish since tanks where made out of rocks". The thing is you have to be old enough to know what that even means.

Reaction score
addy1 said:

What's that old saying? " I kept fish since tanks where made out of rocks". The thing is you have to be old enough to know what that even means.

Ask a Question