New Member with looking for some guidance

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Patrick and I have been following the conversations in Garden Pond forum for several months. Just decided to join last month and begin participating. A little background on myself and my pond. I started it about a year ago and build it myself with the help of a friend. It is 1200glns and itis a liner type pond. As so many before me have said"I should have read or asked first, and then built" but I did it backwards. So now I have my pond with 5 koi which have been in for 1 month. They seem to be doing well but my first attempt at Koi resulted in all three of their deaths within 3 months. I have been told I started with unhealthy fish since my water chemistry was being tested each week and was almost perfect. I have a Tetra Bio filter and Pro line submersible pump. I do not have a quarentine pond, and I am afraid of adding more fish to my pond since my koi seem to be doing well. My question is whether it is practical to build a small 300 gallon pond in which I just keep attractive plants(keep my wife happy) until I need to quarantine a new arrival. Then remove the plants, add salt and keep the new fish until its health is deemed good and it can join the others in the big pond. Hopefully then I can do a water change and just put my plants back in. So is it smart or practical to have one multi functional pond that does dual service for plants and quarantine? I would set up a small bio filter and pump and keep the pond cycled while not in use for Koi. I know that this is a long intro but if anyone has done this or has an opinion I would love to hear it. Thanks for having such a great Forum with truly needed info available.:cool:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group.

flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

I will let someone with koi answer that for you.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I do exactly that, I use a stock tank by rubbermaid, 300 gallons with a fairly good size 35 gallon barrel bio-filter. I do keep low dosage of salt but less than .01% have never had to does any higher than that so far. I keep plants in it year round and use it for QT tank and hospital tank when needed. Works very well.

Reaction score
Thanks fishin4cars, I knew someone had to have had the same problem and come up with a solution. This Forum is amazing that within 1 hour of my posting I receive the needed info. Thanks everyone!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here's a few pics of mine.

Attachments

• trash master 003.jpg
    trash master 003.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 264
  • drain 005.jpg
    drain 005.jpg