New pond basic questions :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Been busy getting a raised pond built. It’s not quite finished yet but will be ready next week. I’m thinking about pulling some Koi in with some shubunkin goldfish. I’m not sure how many I can do, but I’m thinking two Koi, and then whatever additional goldfish will work. My pond size is 1.5 m x 3 m and it is 90 cm deep I have Oase 19000 filter and a Oase pump that seems a decent size. What do you think about the number of fish possible? I’m in the UK.

My pond doesn’t have any edges and I’m not sure what plants to go for, I can go for floating plants that just sit on top of the water, but it is 90 cm deep so I doubt I can do much else. What would be your advice here?

Is there any harm to the fish putting lights into the pond? I wasn’t sure if I could run these as it may disturb them.

Any advice for scaring away in particular cats? Also I haven’t seen herons in the area, but I suspect there may be some. I have seen a large eye that floats on top of the pond that is supposed to scare herons, do these work?

Thanks Tim

Attachments

• IMG_4275.jpeg
    IMG_4275.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 21

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey all,

Been busy getting a raised pond built. It’s not quite finished yet but will be ready next week. I’m thinking about pulling some Koi in with some shubunkin goldfish. I’m not sure how many I can do, but I’m thinking two Koi, and then whatever additional goldfish will work. My pond size is 1.5 m x 3 m and it is 90 cm deep I have Oase 19000 filter and a Oase pump that seems a decent size. What do you think about the number of fish possible? I’m in the UK.

My pond doesn’t have any edges and I’m not sure what plants to go for, I can go for floating plants that just sit on top of the water, but it is 90 cm deep so I doubt I can do much else. What would be your advice here?

Is there any harm to the fish putting lights into the pond? I wasn’t sure if I could run these as it may disturb them.

Any advice for scaring away in particular cats? Also I haven’t seen herons in the area, but I suspect there may be some. I have seen a large eye that floats on top of the pond that is supposed to scare herons, do these work?

Thanks Tim

wolves.gif
@TimF

Nice looking pond!

Your pond would hold one koi at that size and that's it. I would just stick w/the Shubunkin goldfish which are my faves!

Nothing but a net works for me to keep out the predators. Tried pretty much everything else.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/construction/pond

Shubunkin's.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey all,

Thanks Tim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I also have an above ground pond of about 1000 gallons thats 3 feet deep in the middle. It’s 2 feet deep around the edges. I have 17 goldfish after 6 were eaten by raccoons.

It was recently redesigned with more hiding places: behind the waterfall, the skimmer, and two large taro/elephant ear plants in corners across from each other. A ledge was added in front of the waterfall where the fish can hide, too. There are also 2, tubular, ceramic containers open on each end where fish can hide. I read that domestic goldfish aren’t aware of predators but after the first attack they know to hide.

Besides the taro plants, there are a water lily, three other tall flowering plants, and some floating plants. Plants like water lilies and floaters are good to hide the fish beneath them, too.

My pond is triangular and two sides are against the house and garage. The only side not against the house has a metal fence along it to keep herons from dipping down into the pond. They prefer to stand outside the water and dip instead of getting in the water, but I’m sure they would get in the water if hungry enough.

I also have lights in the water which I only have on a few hours before midnight. I read and was told that lights in the pond make it easier for predators to see the fish.

Attachments

• IMG_4620.jpeg
    IMG_4620.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United Kingdom
Ah thanks love your pond. Any idea what the specific plants are? my pond depth is consistent at 90cm so I have no other options. Amazed it’ll only handle one koi lol. How many standard goldfish do you think ?
Thanks Tim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah thanks love your pond. Any idea what the specific plants are? my pond depth is consistent at 90cm so I have no other options. Amazed it’ll only handle one koi lol. How many standard goldfish do you think ?
Thanks Tim
Thanks! I will see if I can find the plant names.

Do you know how many gallons your pond holds? I think our ponds are roughly the same size but can’t tell because of the difference in measurements. The guy who rebuilt the pond said that 17 goldfish are fine for the 1000 gallon pond and he thinks I should not add more.

If you wanted, you could use bricks, stone/slate, or treated lumber to create tunnels for your fish. You could also put the plants on top of them which would obscure the fish. That way you’d add another height dimension to the pond as well as hiding places.

Regarding cats, I’ve seen lots of cats around my pond but none have gotten near it. My goldfish are pretty big, so I don’t think a cat could get them. You might Google what scents keep cats away and try that, or you could make the distance from the water surface to the wall high enough that a cat would be afraid to dip his paw in. I’ve read several people’s comments on this forum about using nets to keep predators away, but unless you cut holes for plants to grow through, you won’t be able to have any vegetation in it.

After the raccoon attack, I bought an outdoor camera to see who’s coming around and what they’re doing. So far, I’ve only seen cats, birds, and a baby opossum. None of them got on the pond’s ledge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Tim
I have had these plants in my pond. Before the first frost, I cut them back and drop them to the lowest level and hope that they come back in the spring. Some do, some don’t. I throw away the floating plants.

I like a combination of plants that grow up and ones that grow out. I prefer flowering plants, but I also like ones that are different looking like the corkscrew rush plants.

Mini lotus, Hardy water lily, Louisiana water iris, water hyacinth, water lettuce, cattail, arrowhead, horsetail, water canna, corkscrew rush, and the large taro plants which I bring inside each winter because they are tropical plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks v much will check these out. Yes I’d be at 1000 gallons size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are you going to have a waterfall or fountain to help oxygenate the water? They also add a nice sound and focal point to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I will have a waterfall custom built for it. Thats not fitted yet and will go in a corner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stand a cinderblock up on its end then place some lilies or crepping Jenny etc

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never used treated lumber for in or above your pond. If the feature is a larger then most a over hanging deck should be OK.

Ask a Question