New pond going in soon!

Ace

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to this forum but it seems like there are some good people here. Thanks in advance for your help.
I am not new to the pond hobby, but I haven't had a pond since I moved away from my last one about 5 years ago. The wife and I decided that we would not put a pond in the new house until our baby was older. She's 4 now and I got the green light to start digging *YAY!!!
I am still in the planning stages and I have some great Ideas. I am actually leaning toward going with a "Formal style" pond, slightly elevated planted mostly with lilies and floating plants. stocked with maybe 4-6 nice sized Koi.
The size will be 10' round and about 4-5 feet deep.
My last pond was "Natural style" Planted with lots of marginals. I liked it alot but i think my new landscape is more suited to a formal look.
So on to my question..
Is there any advantage to one over the other, (formal vs natural) other than preference that is?
Sorry for the huge wall of text. I'm sure that I will have other questions later in the planning stages. and definitely once I start building. I made lots of noob mistakes on my last pond and I plan on doing this one right!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
there is no right or wrong in the pond world....it is just preference

Ask a Question