New Pond - looking for plant advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
The construction on my new pond is done and I’m looking for advice on plants.

I’m in Baltimore County, MD - Zone 7b

I’ve already purchased some dwarf cattails, a water lily, some water hyacinth, some parrot feather and a bunch of anacharis. Nothing is planted yet, its all just sitting in the pond for now.

I have terrible sense for things like this, so I’ll take any advice you can give.

also, while I’m specifically talking about in the pond, I am aware that my pond needs some shade around it. Unfortunately it gets full sun.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpeg
    IMG_2092.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2093.jpeg
    IMG_2093.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Parrots feather could be one plant that could get out of control, on you in that area. But i'll let @addy1 speak to that as she is in your zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The construction on my new pond is done and I’m looking for advice on plants.

I’m in Baltimore County, MD - Zone 7b

I’ve already purchased some dwarf cattails, a water lily, some water hyacinth, some parrot feather and a bunch of anacharis. Nothing is planted yet, its all just sitting in the pond for now.

I have terrible sense for things like this, so I’ll take any advice you can give.

also, while I’m specifically talking about in the pond, I am aware that my pond needs some shade around it. Unfortunately it gets full sun.

Thanks in advance!
I've had mostly good luck with hosta lilies, carnivorous plants, White Ginger, Mexican Petunias, Hibiscus, Calla lily, Wanvisa waterlily, Thalia also corkscrew rush. We get 6+ hours daily.
As for shade - you may want to consider a shadecloth sail above the pond. It will deter herons too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Those are the go to plants for good filtration and competition for algae. Water lettuce are nice but they like some shade. Water iris would be good too.

Ask a Question