ok my daily query Gold spots?

Reaction score
Today i noticed several gold spots that actually looked like gold flakes along the back of my Koi ? i was told about a fish disease called "Velvet?" but all references were directed at tropicals , anyway they are along the back , The koi was/is acting strange like flashing several times , for a few day was jumping a couple of times a day , sits in a corner a lot but is active especially when i approach pond or throw food in , i have observed him/her eating but none of the fish come to the surface to feed they wait for the waterfall current to drag food under , the koi is very active in the evening , as are the other fish ( gold fish) should i treat this fish and for what and with what should i treat the pond should i add salt to the water , or even pima/melafix should i add some stress coat ????? anyone viewing , leave a message nothing more irritating than seeing 100 viewers and 0 replies !

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry about the slow reply, but I was working on my pond re-build while the sun shines. Sounds to me like the fish may have knocked a few scales loose while either spawning or getting ready for same. Velvet isn't gold, it's a whitish cotton-like growth. And for God's sake (well, at least the fishe's sake) don't go running madly off in all directions, medicating for any evil your mind can conjure up!!! More fish are killed by improper medicating than by the actual problem. CHILL OUT!
John

Reaction score
Thanks John i appreciate it and i did not run out for meds as i know to always ask first and act if needed later , i have been thru the lets play doctor thing before and found that it cost me a lot of money and time , when nature would have fixed the "so called ailment " itself all that was needed was patience ,

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol Lenny, would love to reply but when I have no clue I tend to not reply. And I have no clue

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't reply either as I never heard of gold spots on fish other then their own gold spots that belong there cuz of course they are goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Bad time of day to expect a quick response, especially if everyone (including me) are outside working on their ponds today. :) Glad Haro let you know to wait a while and see what happens. Maybe post a pic of the fish, if you can get one that is. That may help as well. I'm new, as most are that are viewing, and not going to jump on the band wagon and give any advise, I'm looking to see what your problem is, and how to fix. That's how I've learned many things.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Came across a discussion in another forum about medicating koi and goldfish. I don't want to infringe on the gentleman's rights or copyrights or whatever, but what he basically says is that over the last few years he has tried to bring nine or ten fish back to health, and every last one of them died shortly after he intervened. He strongly suspects that several of them may have recovered on their own without his dubious 'help'. But this man is no newbie to ponds or fishkeeping; he is considered to be very knowledgeable on the subject, and has been keeping and breeding fish for many years. I don't really know what the point is here, but it's worth thinking about!
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just keep my water in good shape, if something did occur to one of the fish, I would leave it alone until it cured itself or passed on.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I'm w/ you addy on this one as whenever I have had a sick fish it never has made it w/ my intervention so they are on their own w/ me just trying to keep their water right for them. I don't have expensive koi tho so can see where one who has them would want to try to help them live.

Reaction score
i look at it this way if i have them in my ponds i feel responsible , but that being said nature has a way of weeding out those that need to 'ahem' shall we say "swim on" and those that are strong enough to make it , .. suffice to say though some keep flashing and some even jumping none have died i am beginning to suspect its their little spawning rituals and the weather being as crazy as it is , is making them act funny never knowing if they're coming or going ... the gold spots i suspect are lost scales from bumps and scrapes , anyway i left well enough alone i did put some coppersafe in the water just to ward off any parasites that may think of jumping in and on to my fish , i created a bog system in my waterfall the water passes thru a u.v pump flows onto quilt batting ( synthetic ) then onto zeolite and carbon passing thru two barley bales and some plants then back into the pond ... i think its working well ..

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like you have a good set up for them lenny and if they are living and looking good then keep up the good work!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
If your fish is jumping like its trying to rub off something, it could be a parasite. If only one fish seems to be behaving strange, I would not worry about it. Chances are it will clear up on its own. I never would recommend treating the pond because the treatments can be very hard on the pond. If your pond is balanced and healthy the fish will be healthy too. If the fish appear to be chasing each other they may be spawning.

Ask a Question