one reason to love string algae

Reaction score
Nice, I hate to say I hope I get some string algae in my pond?????

Addy what is that wall of rocks in the background? Is it a water fall wall?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The "rocks" to the right? That is a pot from home depot. I have a tiny circulating pump running all of the time, since the waterfall rock on the left is only running a few hours a day when the stream is running. It pulls water form the deck pond to the left (you can't see) pumps into the bottom of the pot, waterfalls out into the deck pond to the right, the bees and birds love the small amount of water movement, so do the frogs and plants. Helps keep the algae down a little since it is a warm body of water.

I have a little amount of filter material in the pot, cut up pool floaty and some lava rock.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love those pix of them eating that algae and I have some that is growing in a tub that I have been pulling it out of and tossing on the grass. I think I will set some in the bird bath near that tub and see if they take it. I see the yellow ones around that area so they might. Very cool addy!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They use it to help build there nests also .You need a little step area for them to get closer .I throw it out of my stock tanks in the spring and they go nuts and I watch them using it .I rake the grass on the lawn into piles ( I usually let the grass grow higher before I mow )and put it out on the side yard and between birds and other animals it is gone in a day or 2

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of it washes out of the pond, over the waterfall, they don't seem to have any issues getting enough to eat. I see more activity now then when they were nest building, but I am sure they use it. I put out my pups hair in piles for them to use (when I clip her)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know birds here use already built nest they just add to them .A nest in one of my bradford pears has had a nest that has grown every year .There is also one like it I see in 1 of my rose of sharon bushes .Every year new babies and remodeled nest .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see layered nests in the bird boxes. Mainly the moss, algae, soft stuff nests. A lot of the birds here build twiggy nests.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
My dog actually enjoys eating string algae! Luckily he's not figured out where it comes from, he just eats what I throw behind the bushes. I'll be in trouble if he starts trying to clean the pond for me, though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bet all that algae is good for us humans to eat too.
Can't be any worse than cooked Spinach in my opinion

Ask a Question