Overwhelmed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place or has been answered before.
I moved into a property late last year, there is a garden pond which was frozen over, so I did the pan method and left it alone.
Now it is spring and I can see the water is quite murky, and it seems to be around 70% plant. I believe it has a liner but not sure if it has a plastic shell.
There are newts in the pond (they don't look like the protected one), and I wanted to clean it out when they'd left so it was optimal for wildlife coming back.

I found out today that the pond has a slow leak.
I have no idea what I'm doing and none of the gardeners I enquired with said they could do it.
I've tried skimming the top gently and removing the weeds but not sure if I'm doing any good. Someone recommended adding daphnia but I'm terrified it will kill off the pondlife.
There are no fish in the pond (that I know of), just newts and tiny little snails.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. The pond is in my rear garden and I am very close to a river. I am in the North East.
Please let me know if any other information is needed.

TIA.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Hang around you will get a lot of help.

Ask a Question