Pickerel Rush

Reaction score
I just bought 3 pickerel rush plants today. Could you please tell what is the best way on I should put these in my pond. I have them, for now in the water, along the edge of my pond in their original 4" pots.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine in my bog, but they will do well in your pond also.

from the net:

Plant the Pickerel Rush in a 5-gallon or larger pot to accommodate strong and plump roots. The pot should be placed in sun to part shade, and the plant will bloom in late spring through early autumn. Divide plants in spring while pruning away the rotting portions from the previous year. Stolon cuttings may be taken in summer and started, or a new plant may be started from fresh seeds collected in late summer and planted. Zones 4-11.

Place the plant in 2 to 3 clusters in a large pot, covering the roots with 2-12 inches of water, because the plant can grow to a height of 4 feet.
The Pickerel rush requires full sun to grow and bloom between May and October in order to flower. The plant itself can grow to 4 feet and does an excellent job of filtering your pond water. The roots systems filter out algae in great quantities, making this plant invaluable in the pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Word of caution, pickerel rush can grow to enormous size in a fairly short time. I recommend the largest pot you can handle in the pond. The reason I say this, I let some grow out of a pot and it started growing in the end of the pond, Looked nice for two years. Well it got so Big I figured I needed to get it out and divide it. Took four people and a small lawn tractor to get it out of the pond! They are very hardy and great display plants but again they get very large. :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
.Thank you very much. Will I be able to plant these bareroot in my pond ? And if so will have to move these to deeper water for the winter or will these survive where they are planted now ? I understand that I will have to watch them if I plant them bareroo I live in zone 5. A 5 gallon bucket is out of the question because of the depth of my pond..

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would use a pot, You can plant them bare root, OH yea, they will grow! If a 5 gallon bucket is out of the question what about a cheap Dollar store drain filter pan, UN-used of course, this will help keep it contained be far more shallow and still manageable to move when needed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Growing pickerel rush: Plant two or three clusters together in a large container for the best effect. This plant does equally well in full sun or partial shade. Its roots should be covered with 2 to 12 inches of water. Move it to the deepest part of the pool during the winter.

Shiny bright green, heart-shaped leaves with multiple spikes of blue flower clusters combine to create a beautiful plant that is a standard of water garden ponds everywhere. Grows very quickly and easily will outgrow normal plant containers in a season, so annual transplanting is advised for best results. Similar to White Pickerel Rush in all aspects except flower color. Native to North America.

Habit/ Height: Vertical to 30", spread to 24"
Water depth: 0-12" over the soil
Light: Full to partial sun
Bloom: Summer
Flower color: Blue
Hardiness: Zones 3-11
Recommended container size: 7.5 qt or larger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread, but I have a question about planting pickerel rush. Does the container need to have holes in it for the roots to grow out and help filter the water? Or can it simply be potted in a five gallon container and placed into pond? Finally should the container be wide and shallow versus tall, i.e. a five gallon (unused) paint bucket?

Thanks much

Ask a Question