Planting Lance Leaf Arrowhead

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Last year I planted Lance Leaf Arrowhead about 1" below the surface of the water. Would it do better only having it's roots wet and actually have the leaves above water or leave it 1" below the surface?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did your plants grow well as shallowly emergent aquatic plants?
I've grown Lance-leaf Arrowhead (Sagittaria lancifolia) as bog plants and they did well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a couple different types of arrowhead & while I started them with crowns right at the surface, they have spread in several areas which have them about 3 - 4" inches below the surface.

Many times a plant will do best in the beginning with only the roots submerged, but (allowed to go their own way) they will adapt to deeper water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I have a couple different types of arrowhead & while I started them with crowns right at the surface, they have spread in several areas which have them about 3 - 4" inches below the surface.

Many times a plant will do best in the beginning with only the roots submerged, but (allowed to go their own way) they will adapt to deeper water.

Thank you for the information... I want to avoid creating shallow areas that the golfish can't get to (1" or less), but were there is enough water where the mosquitoes can still breed. Based on that I think I'll start them above water this year and see how they do. What diameter pot do you recommend?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Individual plants don't get really large, so I'd think a 6" pot should be fine (mine are all planted directly in the gravel on shelves or edges of the pond) If you're using a pot, you can always put it up on top of a rock (or brick, or similar) if the water in the area you want it is deeper than might be desirable for the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lance-leaf Arrowhead (Sagittaria lancifolia) can grow in bogs with it's rhizomes above the water level, as long as roots are able to reach into saturated soil below.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I don't have any gravel/rock in the pond. 100% liner to make it easier to keep clean so pots are a must. Although I did work in some gravel patches in the rock ring around the pond where I have iris, creeping jenny, and water forget me nots growing. I could tear some out and put a lance in one of these spots...

Great info here! It will help greatly with the spring cleaning plan!!! Thank you everyone that replied!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grow my aquatic plants in containers. Some are submerged, but many are grown with an exposed soil surface, but in saturated soil conditions. The plants will grow out of their containers into the water when given a chance.

Ask a Question