Please help ID weird thread-like tentacles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I’ve just spotted a biggish patch of waving, thread-like ‘tentacles’ in my wildlife pond. They appear to be attached to the roots of a marsh marigold. They are about 6 inches under water and wave and weave continuously. Whatever are they?! Can anyone help ID them, please? My pond is about 8 years old and I’ve never seen them before. I’ve never had fish, but I do have water snails, tadpoles and frogs and once glimpsed a newt. I’m afraid the photo isn’t very clear but the ‘tentacles’ are one middle.
911C16F9-2A64-4E9D-8EE3-B84A23917915.jpeg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Perhaps Nitella algae?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I’m afraid I didn’t give enough info - they are definitely some kind of creature, not a plant, definitely something alive and moving with intent to catch prey. On researching further, I think they must be hydra - probably brown hydra polyps (Hydra oligactis) attached to roots of marsh marigold. Does this seem feasible?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi. Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I’m afraid I didn’t give enough info - they are definitely some kind of creature, not a plant, definitely something alive and moving with intent to catch prey. On researching further, I think they must be hydra - probably brown hydra polyps (Hydra oligactis) attached to roots of marsh marigold. Does this seem feasible?
So did they come maybe on new plant roots like the Marigold? Sounds like they are not the best thing to have in there for fish and other living creatures. Wonder how you get them gone?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hydras are usually very tiny and have a distinct foot and body. Looks like a type of aquatic worm what kind….who knows, but these guys are most likely beneficial. I have all types of worms and fauna in the roots of the plants in my pond, all helping support the food web in there.

Ask a Question