• Total voters

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There have been so many posts by people who bought [rented, or otherwise acquired property] a home that already had a pond -- I have been amazed!

So, I was wondering if YOUR pond came with your house or if you built it [after-purchase of your house].

Also wondering if where you live [for those who bought homes with ponds] was significant.

I wonder about a lot of things..... :)

Multiple answers are OK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I built my first pond about a year after buying my house. I'm in the process of building a much better pond that will be left for the buyers of my house when I move. I'll only be here for about four more years, so somebody will be buying a house with a sweet pond! It's kind of sad to think that after putting in all of this work, it'll stay with the home... But that just means I'll be building a bigger better pond at my next house!!

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
9x6x24 inches deep when we bought it 2 years ago.

Rebuilt last fall 13 x 11 x 36 inches deep.

Expanded and raised this spring
17 x 14 x 44 inches deep.

Don't see Midwest US as an option. That's where I reside.

Reaction score
I am building myself after living in this house for 17 years. I live in the Midwest, Michigan.

I would like to know why or how others became interested in ponding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Midwestern pond here. We knew we wanted water in the garden, so we researched and discovered pondless waterfalls. We built one, loved it and quickly realized we needed a pond... So we built that the following year. We have been in our house for 25 years - spent a lot of those years raising our family and ignoring the garden and yard. Now we have the time to devote to it - it's a great, relaxing hobby and it keeps us outdoors and on the move! There's always something to fool with in the garden!

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Always loved fishing, one of my first memories was catching a 3-4 pound bass at my uncles pond and being scared to death of it. Bass fished about everyday in the summer when I was a teen(always catch and release). Always thought it be fun to have a koi pond and two years ago bought a house with a small goldfish pond and expanded it....,,,,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I built my pond to increase wildlife diversity and for an emergency water supply in case of fire.
Western Canada.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My house was here but did not even get the landscaping done or buy furniture before i did my first pond .We were sitting on lawn chairs in the living room and all we had besides was our bedroom set .No grass no trees just dirt and a gravel drive way and that was back in 2004 and now we have splendors gate

Attachments

• splendors gate a pond may2014 001.JPG
    splendors gate a pond may2014 001.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 225
Reaction score
Country
United States
I started keeping fish somewhere around 2000/2001 when I was gifted a betta in a vase :rolleyes: I always liked looking at the fancy goldfish in the pet stores (in particular the red cap orandas) but never felt that I could keep fish alive (thinking back to when I was younger and we would bring home feeder goldfish from a carnival, they always died. Of course it didn't help that my parents never actually got the right set up for the fish. They would just put them in a bowl :()

Anyhow, I have several fish tanks but wanted to keep some common goldfish as pets but my tanks are not really big enough to keep them long term (fifty five gallon being the largest) So I figured why not try setting up a pond. And that's how it all started.

sissy, I love the fact that you had lawn chairs for furniture in your house but the pond was under construction! That is true passion :) Did you have any type of fish before the pond went in?

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Also had aquariums growing up. Liked cichlids, angel fish ect.

Had some red eared sliders that we saw the mother lay the eggs. They were a couple weeks overdue and we went to dig them up & they were hatching - 25 of them. Kept 5 for 3-4 years then turned them loose.

Also had a 55 gal aquarium that I grew 3 oscars up in. They were fun, they'd jump out of the tank at feeding time. When the kids are older and out of the house I'm gonna take down a wall in the basement and put in a large aquarium w oscars in it.

Anyway, always have had fish but just now getting into the science of it I'd guess you'd say.

Reaction score
We originally had no intention of creating a "pond". An old cement birdbath went through one to many winters and was disintegrating. We replaced it with a large bird bath and waterfall.

Then the goldfish got thrown into the equation. Now we've revamped the bird bath into a proper (although still very small) pond with a bog.

I have an addictive personality. You only have to look at my orchid collection to understand that. It's a good thing I don't have any more room for a bigger pond!

Also, Midwest "other" here too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
My son and I built the pond. There had been a15x30 above ground pool or at least one side was above ground, the other side was 2 foot into the gound. I always wanted a pond and the kids were grown and the pool wasn't getting used so down it came. We took the aluminum to the scrap yard and got started on the pond. The end result is in the picture in my signature. One day I will figure out how to post proper pictures. We live in southeast Wisconsin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another Midwesterner not in one of your quadrants. I was walking through the garden department at Menards about 5 or 6 years ago. I saw a box that said full kit for a pond including liner, pump, biofilter etc. normally it was $200 and was 25% off so I bought it. At that time I didn't know anyone else who had a pond and knew virtually nothing about them. I installed it in a few hours and since then have gradually replaced everything and spent 1000 or more hours improving it!

Ask a Question