Pond chemicals and GFCI

Reaction score
Country
United States
4 year old 1/4 hp submersible pump began tripping GFCI. Replaced motor-still tripping. I replaced 15 amp GFCI with 20 amp GFCI - still tripping. I filled a plastic trash can with rain water and plastic bucket with pond water - both pumps trip a (different) 15 amp GFCI when submerged in the pond water bucket and both run fine when placed in the rain water can. Pond water test strips appear to show acceptable levels. Can water chemical affect GFCI performance? I recently began adding salt and cyanuric acid because of low test strip levels.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all, hello and welcome!

Are you talking about a POND or a POOL? Do you have fish?

To answer your question, IDK, but I could see where some additives might alter the conductivity of the water. Cyanuric acid? I have no idea. Maybe someone else with more of a chemistry background can help you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My small in ground pool is 100 gallon with a waterfall feature. No fish.

Last edited:

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The more minerals (ions) in the water increase electrical conductivity, so perhaps a small electrical leak that the GFI can only sense with the pump in a more conductive solution.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1654202074048.gif
@Gilroy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like your electrical is the culprit and its probably a poor ground @poconojoe any insight?

Ask a Question