Pondless Waterfall, String Algae, & Pump Schedule

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Greetings, all:
I'm new to all this and built my waterfall a year and a half ago. It is a 100 gal. Aquascape system. The pump has been running on a 18 hour on, 6 hour off (overnight) schedule.

Last summer the string algae started appearing and, at first, I thought it looked rather nice and natural. But last week I took a hard look and it was really overpowering everything. I shut the pump down, drained the basin, and began cleaning everything out.

I really want to stay ahead of the curve on this, but have read so many opinions on how and what to do that I'm a bit confused. I've purchased a bottle of API Pond Algaefix Algae Control and, per the instructions, says I should add a tablespoon once a week. I'm also wondering about running the pump on a schedule vs. running the pump 24/7.

So: is my algae prevention plan viable, and should I run the pump 24/7, or on a schedule?

Below is the waterfall after cleaning it out. I'm in zone 8 in Puget Sound...

Many Thanks!

IMG_20230416_110345119.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome porpoise.gif
@Geewiz
Some here use hydrogen peroxide for this algae removal. I'll let those who do explain it to you. You live somewhere not too far from me as I live up north in Arlington.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
turn off pump and spray on a warm sunny day with peroxide . Since I guess you have no fish you can add salt also . Salt water kills off most algae

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My neighbor has his pondless water feature on a timer and lights are also on timers and he sets them to go off at midnight and they don't come on until 4 pm . They get home at that time so I guss they want to enjoy it from then on

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
By the way I have to say that is a really nice water feature and as a lover of rocks I can say that . JW is a lover of rocks also . I placed every rock on my hill myself. I even took the bigger flat rocks and made some built in stairs up the hill in front of my house . . I didn't want a retaining wall in the country setting . That was 6 truckloads of rocks

Attachments

• DSC03886 (1).JPG
    DSC03886 (1).JPG
    408.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC03889 (1).JPG
    DSC03889 (1).JPG
    385.2 KB · Views: 12

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Do not add any chemicals. Just scoop up the algae and use as compost or fertilizer. Algae appears because you have nutrients and light. Scooping up the algae means you are getting rid of organics in the water. Algae fix and chemicals just kill the algae. Nutrients will stay in the pond and you don't want that. And run the pump 24/7. You don't want stagnant water. I'm in PNW as well and I'm starting them get algae this week. It accumulates in my mechanical filter and I just scoop them out and get rid of them. It always occur in season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
By the way I have to say that is a really nice water feature and as a lover of rocks I can say that . JW is a lover of rocks also . I placed every rock on my hill myself. I even took the bigger flat rocks and made some built in stairs up the hill in front of my house . . I didn't want a retaining wall in the country setting . That was 6 truckloads of rocks
Now that is a LOT of rocks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how long is your water feature in the sun because that can add to the problems . You can use salt to condition the water , but if you have plants in the water feature means you can't add as much salt . My neighbor asked me and he has been using a combo of salt and peroxide and so far it is working . He got a salinty meter as he has a few plants but not many and so far it has not effected them . He moved into his house a year ago and I meant him 3 months ago when I was working in the yard and he asked me because his nieghbor told him I had a pond and I gave her banana plants for free . I just took one to him from the ones i dug up last year and put n pots in my basement .Told him it is a late house warming gift . Banana plants here cost over 100 dollars . He could not wait to show it to his wife . I always give people info on cold hearty banana plants and how to keep them alive

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is nothing in rocks i have a ditch that goes up along the side of my 300 ft long drivway and that alone was 3 truckloads of rocks . I had to control water flow down my property

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't see any plants in his waterfall so sounds like he could use the salt and peroxide combo.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If he added some plants and only used peroxide it may be better . I wonder if it is city water or well .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all...I'm finding your input very helpful!

This pondless waterfall has a 100gal. basin and gets sun through most of the day, from mid morning to late afternoon. We're on Camano Island in Puget Sound, so we also get a lot of overcast days. There are no fish and no plants, with no plans to add either. But we do get the local birds splashing around occasionally.

Our water supply is from a community well system, and it is chlorinated. I recently bought some algaecide: API POND ALGAEFIX, to start treating. The dosage is about a tablespoon per week. It's supposed to be echo friendly, but I'm intrigued with the peroxide and salt treatment.

Is there a recommended ration to use of those ingredients?

Thanks again!

Ask a Question