Preparing for a Spring Spawn

Reaction score
For the first time in all the years I've been ponding, this is the first year that I'm seriously considering breeding. Normally, I just let nature take its course and the fish eat up all the fry born, and ocassionally we are surprised by a stray fish that manages to make it. (Usually it's one of the comets instead of a koi, tho).

I'm interested in hearing from all the experts on GPF as to what those of us in the same position need to do to prep. I will not be doing a controlled breed with a particular male and female, instead it will just be a free for all and we'll just see what handsome mutts come out of it.

I am going to build 2 of c2c's breeding baskets to protect my fry from their cannibalistic pond mates, and I know I need to make a spawning brush/matt/rope of some kind, too. I've checked out those fancy Black Knight Spawning Brushes for sale, but at $60/US each plus shipping, that is certainly not in the cards! We are definitely looking at a DIY deal.

I've been researching this idea for a few days, and I've heard a mix of info. I was initially thinking I would go to the dollar store and grab a few mop heads, but a few articles I read said that these disintegrate in water after a while, and the eggs are difficult to remove and it all gets a tangled mess.I've read a mixed bag on just strings of yarn, too.

Can y'all show us your goods with regard to what you have successfully used as an egg grabber (photos always welcomed if possible). Also, telling us stuff you've tried that didn't work would be great, too.

Looking forward to hearing your about your breeding experiences. Also, is there anything else I should be doing to prep for breeding this spring?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My 2008 Spawn occurred on June 3. My 2009 Spawn occurred on May 1. That said, whatever preparations you provide for the females to lay thier eggs needs to be in place before these dates.

A lot of published information says 70 degrees F is the magic number. My last years spawn happened in 66 degree water.

If your females are late and getting really big, you can induce a spawn by doing a 25% water change. I also induced my 2008 spawn the instant I added water hyacinth into the pond.

I use spawning ropes but I find they prefer the plants. Hyssop and Parrotts Feather in my stream is where the orgy mostly took place. You can scrape the eggs off the liner and place plants that have their roots covered with eggs in a safe place.

The eggs will hatch in 3-5 days and if you treat the water with methelyne blue you will get a much higher yield. Remove all eggs that show signs of fungus growing on them. These will not hatch.

If you are serious, make sure you have your brine shrimp hatcheries set up and ready to go so the fry will have healthy live food when their egg sac is depleated.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pvc piping and nylon window screening and a hot glue gun will build real nice fry cages..but check out your local dollar stores for the mesh bags and see the mesh size they carry...

Reaction score
Wow! It is pretty involved then!

So, you would suggest putting in the breeding mops in around late April then or sooner?

I've heard this methylene blue thing many times. When do you put it in the water and how much do you use for this purpose? I've read that you only use half the normal recommended amount when it comes to the breeding process?

Are there any other options to feeding other than brine, doc, or is that the best option? Some folks mention crushing food into powder. I've also seen fry food at the pet shop.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
pvc piping and nylon window screening and a hot glue gun will build real nice fry cages..but check out your local dollar stores for the mesh bags and see the mesh size they carry...

Does hot glue actually hold long-term under water??! I've never tried that one! Are you hotglueing the screen to the PVC? Describe your idea, koiguy!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
See responses in blue.

koikeepr said:
Wow! It is pretty involved then!

So, you would suggest putting in the breeding mops in around late April then or sooner?
Yes

I've heard this methylene blue thing many times. When do you put it in the water and how much do you use for this purpose? I've read that you only use half the normal recommended amount when it comes to the breeding process?
That is correct.

Are there any other options to feeding other than brine, doc, or is that the best option? Some folks mention crushing food into powder. I've also seen fry food at the pet shop.
In my opinion, there is nothing better, it is alive and pure protein. It is also more work so some folks are going to take the easy way out.
Between the MB and having the live food ontime this years spawn yielded 10 times the previous years fry.

Looking forward to hearing more!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
tetrapond makes "KOI VITAL" that reproduces the natural water chemistry of cold running japenese mountain streams and rivers...it puts in all the trace minerals, vitamins, etc.. its very healthy for the fish and increases sexual behavior, actually induces spawning

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
tetrapond makes "KOI VITAL" that reproduces the natural water chemistry of cold running japenese mountain streams and rivers...it puts in all the trace minerals, vitamins, etc.. its very healthy for the fish and increases sexual behavior, actually induces spawning

all the secrets are coming out! very helpful....

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
As long as you provide them the proper pond conditions they will spawn. They can get egg bound although this is rare.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I tried the mop heads last spring.
but the koi liked plants better.
If i noticed chasing in the morning.{ you will know } i started cutting a few plant branches and laid them on the side of my pond floating on the water
When it was over i took the branches to my stock tank to hatch

Ask a Question