Question on putting plants into baskets.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
It was explained to me that the required depth of the lotus planter was to keep the roots from freezing. The hardy lotus will servive a winter here in the Northwest just as long as you can keep the roots from freezing, and the adiquite room. I wouldn't be able to have a lotus in my pond because my pond is only 365 gallons, and I don't have much room for the water lillies that I have now. I'm sure this planted depth issue applies to other regions in the US as well. After spending some time in Japan in the early 70's, the climate is quite simular to Japan here in the Tacoma-Seattle area. Japan has some of the most beautiful lotus plants, and ponds I have ever seen. The first time I ever saw a koi was in Okusika, Japan. I had no idea carp that big existed, and were so beautiful in color.

Reaction score
Here in NW FL, we seldom see ice in the pond. I will drop the lotus to the bottom this winter when things cool down. I am trying gravel for some new taro this month to see how it works.

Reaction score
Started out with clay mixture but soon changed all plants to pea gravel only. Except for my lillies which I will do in the fall. Can definitely tell a difference in the water quality since the clay no longer leeches into the water. Also like the fact that water flows through the gravel and plants can absorb the nutrients freely.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I'm with you. I used all regular potting soil topped off with rocks just a little bigger than pea gravel. The soil leached into the water and turned it a tea color and the fish liked to play with the rocks and spead them all over the bottum.

Most of my pond plants are in either pea gravel or a potting mix for aquariums or ponds. Also, I have replaced all of potting rocks with larger ones that the fish can't pick up and move. So far so good.

Reaction score
I planted all of our pond plants in composted cow manure, used osmocote for fertilizer and used pots without any holes in them.
newpictures1209416.jpg

everything grew like crazy
newpictures1209417.jpg

I had to trim lily pads several times a week
newpictures1209435.jpg

newpictures1209237.jpg

I did notice a little more algae growth but not enough to change anything
The best day for waterlily blooms was 52 in the late summer. I plan to repot again this spring in manure again, the koi left all the plants alone but they were rather small
(less than 6 inches). I used a good 2 inch layer of pea gravel on top of the soil in the pots
I tested the water many times over the summer with none of the parameters out of wack

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Freddie,

Outstanding pond, landscape, and aquatic plants. You really have the touch, and you made it all look so natural.

I didn't notice any fish in your pond. Are they there, or not there because of the steer manure used in the potted plants? I would like my lilies to look that nice, and be that prolific.

Happy ponding,

Rich :umbrella:

Reaction score
Thank you for the compliments
There are fish in the pond.We started with 10 koi and a couple fancy goldfish. The goldfish never survived the first winter and we never replaced them.
The fish are growing quickly and if they become a problem to the plants, we will replace them with goldfish cause the plants are really the stars of the show. Last year I put about 40 trapdoor snails in and am waiting to see if they survive the winter.
newpictures1209323.jpg

Here is our resident bullfrog

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Got to love the resident frogs!

Attachments

• DSC00015.JPG
    DSC00015.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 246

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I use a container w/o holes or put black garbage bags in so dirt can't leak out. I use compost in my pots (composted cow manure) and not the stinky stuff, good garden store stuff. I add about 1/2 cup of 14-14-14 Osmocote to the bottom of appx. an 18" pot before I put in the compost(don't mix it in the dirt as it could float up and out into the pond). Make sure it is at the very bottom of the pot. I also add a small (walnut size) chunk of steel wool in the bottom of pot for extra iron so plants won't turn yellow. I add a layer of pea gravel on top so compost stays in pot. I don't have problems w/ leaching out soil and my plants grow extremely well. If it's going in a Koi pond I would put several hand size rocks on top of that or flat pieces of flagstone for added protection from spilling. The first time I tried this recipe I could not believe how many water lilies I got and they totally covered my pond.
These pics were taken before all the blooms came and I didn't get a picture of all the blooms.
This year I'm going to make sure I take pics of the massive blooms w/ my new camera.

jvn35-1.jpg

jvn49.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think Freddie and I got our recipes from the same person I'm thinking :)

Reaction score
j.w said:
I think Freddie and I got our recipes from the same person I'm thinking :)
yes we did but I'm not saying who....just enjoying the results and next spring I will go with the addition of the steel wool as I did experience some yellow leaves toward the end of the season.
If you want TONS of waterlily blooms this is THE way to go.
We had a abnormally cool summer with more rain and less sunny days than usual and our pond plants grew like weeds on steroids

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Freddie Peepers said:
yes we did but I'm not saying who....just enjoying the results and next spring I will go with the addition of the steel wool as I did experience some yellow leaves toward the end of the season.
If you want TONS of waterlily blooms this is THE way to go.
We had a abnormally cool summer with more rain and less sunny days than usual and our pond plants grew like weeds on steroids

And I too remain silent about the recipe donor and I agree there is nothing at all that can beat this recipe IMHO
chimiste004.gif

Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding a layer of that bentonite kitty litter from walmart under the pea gravel:ideacyclops: to each pot next spring for the added benefits that clay will give. I know it will lose its effectiveness over the course of the season but it sure can't hurt

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Freddie Peepers said:
I'm thinking about adding a layer of that bentonite kitty litter from walmart under the pea gravel:ideacyclops: to each pot next spring for the added benefits that clay will give. I know it will lose its effectiveness over the course of the season but it sure can't hurt

Now there's a good idea Freddie..........I think I shall also :) That kitty litter is soooooooo cheap at $2.59 for 25lbs.........it might have gone up a bit since I bought it last tho. I really think it helps keep my water clear too
fishpond23.gif

Ask a Question