Red streaking koi fins for 2 yrs

Reaction score
Country
United States
About 2 years ago I completely freaked out when noticing red and pinkish streaks throughout the fins of one of my koi. I immediately treated for fin rot, constantly checked the ammonia levels and applied several treatments of Prazipro without any change. My koi has remained healthy otherwise. 2 yrs later he still exhibits streaking that comes and goes. My other fish has never experienced this.

Is this some sort of phenomenon and has anyone else ever experienced this?

20220826_105755.jpg
20220826_105621.jpg
20220826_111905.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's only 3 yrs old. I got him when he was around 5 inches and he has definitely been my fastest growing fish.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have had goldfish with that in the past. Was usually just the pronounced red veins in the long tail not the red fringes like yours, which does look like the start of fin rot or some other infection. The streaks are especially notable in the white ones.

The severity seemed to vary with the water quality. When the fish were in my tanks, the more water changes I did, the less streaking I saw.

+1 on any tests you have done. Check anything besides ammonia?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have one light colored koi that will show streaks of red when he's stressed, otherwise healthy. Is it possible it's the natural coloration of your koi?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my 2,000 gallon pond for 5 years which only relies on a bog filter. I have 5 koi, around 15 goldfish, fully mature plants and a UV light sterilizer. The one pictured with the streaking is my largest koi, guesstimate a little under 2 ft from head to tip of fin. My water quality has always tested within the normal ranges without any radical fluctuations. I especially pay attention to ammonia levels. I also do water changes every week.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@LuvKoi Hello and welcome!

How big is your pond; how many and what size koi do you have; what do your water tests look like?
Sorry I'm new here and not too sure how and where to post. My reply to your question is listed below.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one light colored koi that will show streaks of red when he's stressed, otherwise healthy. Is it possible it's the natural coloration of your koi?
Ironically when it first appeared I donated around 10 goldfish to a local hospitality house. Maybe it was due to removing too many from the school all at once.

Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had goldfish with that in the past. Was usually just the pronounced red veins in the long tail not the red fringes like yours, which does look like the start of fin rot or some other infection. The streaks are especially notable in the white ones.

The severity seemed to vary with the water quality. When the fish were in my tanks, the more water changes I did, the less streaking I saw.

+1 on any tests you have done. Check anything besides ammonia?
That's what's strange, the ammonia levels have remained in the normal range, water changes are performed weekly, he eats well with no behavioral changes for 2 years, he's the only fish experiencing this and yet the streaks comes and goes. After trying everything possible, I've come to accept it.

Ask a Question