Reducing size of dangerous pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have a garden pond approx 8ft x 6ft and about 6ft deep. It’s made with a pond liner rather than a preformed plastic pond. A few days ago my 88 year old father fell in it, up to his neck and very nearly drowned. He loves the pond and doesn’t want to fill it in. He also dementia and has forgotten that he fell in it so doesn’t see the danger. I’m looking for advice please on whether to completely fill it in and if so how or whether to somehow make it a lot smaller and shallower. Many thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A few milk crates 3 high with a few rocks in them the top layer filled . Will reduce to 3 feet if it's not a great fit I n Shape . You Can always put A 3/4 black azek down on the crates cut to shape and hold it down with rocks as it too floats

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
That is truly terrifying and I'm so sorry it happened. I personally would consider making a much smaller pond for his safety, not worth the risk.

Filling in a pond is quite a bit of work.....ask me how I know - LOL ! We filled ours in in Autumn 2023. We tried to hire someone to help out, but couldn't find an anyone. We ended up doing it ourselves and paid our high school grandsons to help haul fill dirt. We've ordered a large fountain, so we can enjoy the sound of water and enhance our garden.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome48.gif
@Strawberryelephant
How scary! Sad to have to fill it in as he loves it. What about a sturdy railed fence around it?
1715120930388.jpeg

Ask a Question