Sealing flexible tubing for waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I'm completely new to pond building. I'm helping a friend build a pond in his back yard. I'm hoping to get advise or suggestions on how to seal the black flex tubing that he's using for the waterfall.

flexible hose pond 1.jpg

We have a stone retaining wall with about a foot of concrete behind the stone that the tubing goes through. Not sure the best way to seal it coming out the bottom to the pump or the top at the basin.

pond 2.jpg

Greatly appreciate any advise.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1648402959018.gif
@westcoastfl
I'll leave this one to someone else who might know the answer to your question :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! When you say “seal,” do you mean as with an adhesive, or just a way to attach them together? Not too crazy about plastic flex pipe — if it’s the same thing I have used (there may be different types that perform better….?). I haven’t used it in a while, but I kind of recall using barbed fittings and stainless steel hose clamps. Spent a lot of time at The Home Depot, LOL!

Reaction score
Country
United States
What I mean by seal is a way to make waterproof, the flex tubing that comes out of the concrete and stone retaining wall at the bottom of the pond, and the flex tubing that comes out at the top for the waterfall, so it doesn't leak. I would love if it was as simple as using a marine adhesive or something similar. I just wasn't sure if that would do the trick.

I've been searching and haven't found much on creating a waterproof seal using this type of tubing. I mostly see people using pvc bulkhead fittings.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
If the sealant won’t be providing any structural ( and I mean any at all! ) support, then you can go ahead and use any 100% silicone or similar marine sealant. I recommend ge 1, pretty cheap and completely safe for animals of all types.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here at G.P.F you will have a wonderful chance to learn from some of the best who cover everything from small patio prefabs to ponds the size of most homeowners yards. they (we) have all learned by trial and error.

What I have seen in the past is this flex tubing your going to use is on the sub standard lever. after time it will become brittle and the outer corrugation will lock the tubing in the substrate natural ground movement. if this material is your only option you will have to think about what you are going to attach the tubing to ie PVC, PLASTIC and so on. as mention above using a barbed fitting and hose clamp will work as long as the hose clamp is stainless steel including the worm gear that tightens the band. you also have the option of using PVC cement, remember black pipe, black cement and never forget to use PVC primer and allowing a good curing time to prevent chemical transfer to pond water... about 24 hrs. I personally have not used epoxy but it MUST be able to have some sort of bite in to the tubing. by bite I mean it must be able to slightly soften both materials to have a positive adhesion.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
As far as the tubing goes, everyone around here says it is trash, and don't tell anyone, but I have used it on literally all of my ponds.... I still have the same piece from 4 ish years ago, and it has been through three ponds, seems durable enough to me, but replacing it would be able a half day job so the stakes are lower.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here at G.P.F you will have a wonderful chance to learn from some of the best who cover everything from small patio prefabs to ponds the size of most homeowners yards. they (we) have all learned by trial and error.

What I have seen in the past is this flex tubing your going to use is on the sub standard lever. after time it will become brittle and the outer corrugation will lock the tubing in the substrate natural ground movement. if this material is your only option you will have to think about what you are going to attach the tubing to ie PVC, PLASTIC and so on. as mention above using a barbed fitting and hose clamp will work as long as the hose clamp is stainless steel including the worm gear that tightens the band. you also have the option of using PVC cement, remember black pipe, black cement and never forget to use PVC primer and allowing a good curing time to prevent chemical transfer to pond water... about 24 hrs. I personally have not used epoxy but it MUST be able to have some sort of bite in to the tubing. by bite I mean it must be able to slightly soften both materials to have a positive adhesion.
Sub-standard is the best way I can describe the flexible plastic tubing, as well. Used it once, but only because that was all I knew to use. Any future construction will be with PVC, flex PVC, and PVC fittings, properly affixed. The flexible plastic stuff, I would not use in an enclosed or hard to access area. It just doesn’t stand up over time.

@westcoastfl With a properly fitted, say barbed fitting and stainless hose clamp, you shouldn’t really need to “seal” it to make it waterproof. If that doesn’t make it “waterproof,”

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As far as the tubing goes, everyone around here says it is trash, and don't tell anyone, but I have used it on literally all of my ponds.... I still have the same piece from 4 ish years ago, and it has been through three ponds, seems durable enough to me, but replacing it would be able a half day job so the stakes are lower.
I wouldn’t consider four years to be the test of time. And most people probably don’t imagine themselves rebuilding a pond every year or so. But your last point is a good one - if it’s easy to replace and you don’t mind doing it then it’s a matter of choice.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I wouldn’t consider four years to be the test of time. And most people probably don’t imagine themselves rebuilding a pond every year or so. But your last point is a good one - if it’s easy to replace and you don’t mind doing it then it’s a matter of choice.
In the future I would probably go with hardline tubing, and I believe in the OP’s case the piping may be cemented in or otherwise hard to get to, so I would treat it kind of like pool plumbing. Go with high quality schedule 40 or 80 pvc, and make sure you do a good job gluing!

Ask a Question