So much rain

Reaction score
Country
United States
we are still building our pond/waterfall. its has rained alot so not moving so fast. our pond is placed where it needs to be. it has filled up with rain and also underneath it which is all clay. i want to make sure we seal off this problem as we see the pond is rising from water under it. will a large rock in the pond help keep it down once we are done and also once we line the edge with rock will that help keep underneath from filling up with water as well?

Better now than when we are done!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it ground water rising up, or rain water flowing in from the surrounding ground. A nice berm raising the edge of the pond above the surrounding land will stop that from happening.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it ground water rising up, or rain water flowing in from the surrounding ground. A nice berm raising the edge of the pond above the surrounding land will stop that from happening.
im trying to picture this, can you explain how raising the pond will help this? just curious and thank you

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
@terilynn46 Here is my reply to a recent similar thread (addressing another problem, but the solution is the same.). As we were digging our pond, not only did we have a lot of rain…..but even when things were dry, you could literally watch the water seep into the hole. Hope this helps.

Post in thread 'Small Berm Building'
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/small-berm-building.31037/post-492097

And no, a rock won’t help.
ok so i can build a berm...what do i put underneath the pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
An underlayment, which is usually something thicker than garden weed fabric. They make a geotextile product specifically for use under pond liners, but some people use pieces of carpet. The underlayment is a padding, intended to protect the liner from damage due to rocks, etc. that are in the soil. It won’t do anything to keep the water from entering under the liner, though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
An underlayment, which is usually something thicker than garden weed fabric. They make a geotextile product specifically for use under pond liners, but some people use pieces of carpet. The underlayment is a padding, intended to protect the liner from damage due to rocks, etc. that are in the soil. It won’t do anything to keep the water from entering under the liner, though.
how high up should i bring the pond

Ask a Question