So my bog is now an Owl's bathtub

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Well that made my day!!! I would do anything to have barred owls in my yard!! Nothing like their calls..
I am curious as to the reason for your high chain link fence..Do you have dogs? If so you would think the owls would be more cautious....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The fence came with the house, and yes, I have hounds but they're usually on a couch.
20220425_191918.jpg
This community has greenways through town and I bought this house because it backed onto a greenway. It's a wonderful birding area :)
The tarp you saw in the video is covering the hole which may soon be a completed pond. Once I get past that hurdle I'll install a trail cam so I won't have to take pics and vids through a window! But to tell the truth, I never expected to have owls bathing in my bog :ROFLMAO: I could barely sleep after seeing that last evening.
So glad you enjoyed seeing it too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The fence came with the house, and yes, I have hounds but they're usually on a couch. View attachment 150015This community has greenways through town and I bought this house because it backed onto a greenway. It's a wonderful birding area :)
The tarp you saw in the video is covering the hole which may soon be a completed pond. Once I get past that hurdle I'll install a trail cam so I won't have to take pics and vids through a window! But to tell the truth, I never expected to have owls bathing in my bog :ROFLMAO: I could barely sleep after seeing that last evening.
Now I see why you had such high chain link fencing! LOL Beautiful dogs...I love to watch greyhounds move...Such graceful kind souls..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Now I see why you had such high chain link fencing! LOL Beautiful dogs...I love to watch greyhounds move...Such graceful kind souls..
Well, unless you're a rabbit or a squirrel or a loose cat. They don't know they can jump, I used to have a 2.5' high fence that would contain them.
I just spotted one of the owls preening between raindrops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This is so cool! I have a flycatcher that belly flops into the pond -- I thought that was the coolest thing -- until I saw an owl take a bath!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is so cool! I have a flycatcher that belly flops into the pond -- I thought that was the coolest thing -- until I saw an owl take a bath!!!! Thank you for sharing!
I'm hoping you post a video of that flycatcher one day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Makes me itch to be movin down there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm hoping you post a video of that flycatcher one day!
I tried the other day and missed him! He is the coolest little guy. (It may be several different birds, for all I know.) But if I am sitting by the pond and one lands nearby, it usually means a bath is imminent. And he doesn't go in the shallow area! He does this weird belly flop thing right in the deep part and flys right back up. It is crazy! These same birds hang around me when I dig. They will hop right over and get any grubs or worms I unearth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The fence came with the house, and yes, I have hounds but they're usually on a couch. View attachment 150015This community has greenways through town and I bought this house because it backed onto a greenway. It's a wonderful birding area :)
I used a trail camera in the past, but now I have the wireless Blink camera system all around my house with one camera pointing at the pond/bog.

With the trail camera you need to remove the sd card to view the captures on a computer.
The Blink can record with motion. Everything is viewed from your phone and you can even talk through the camera if you like. My daughter yells at bears through her cameras! They look toward the camera when she yells, then they walk away! You do have to pay for cloud storage, $100 per year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm so glad you brought that up! I've got blinks in the house but have not tried the exterior models. I will have to go look.
I can hear me yelling at wildlife through the camera :LOL:

Ask a Question