String Alage in bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I'm getting a lot of string algae growing in my bog. Only in my bog, though it has started to creep out of the bog down the causeway where the water flows into the main pond from the bog.

It's winter here now so I'm thinking that many of the bog plants have gone dormant, so aren't sucking as much nutrient out of the water. Additionally, my pond it only around 6 months old, or less, so the bog plants haven't had that much time to really get going.

Do you think that they should take off over sprint/summer and then by next winter be sucking up enough nutrient to avoid string algae? Or any other suggestions?

In particular, can anyone suggest any bog plants that stay active in winter? I am in Sydney, Australia, so winters are mostly around the 8 degrees C minimum mark (46F), no freezing or anything like that.

I haven't tested the water in a few weeks, but the last few tests have all come back as perfect 0's for all the nasties. There is a bit of leaf litter in there though, which is no doubt breaking down to add extra nutrient. That's unavoidable here though, I'm hoping the bog will eventually handle that.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Pond String Algae 1.jpg
    Pond String Algae 1.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Pond String Algae 2.jpg
    Pond String Algae 2.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 57

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
More plants more plants, mine makes a bit of algae in the spring as the plants grow after that it is history. It appears you have plants growing get more of them growing. No clue on what will grow down there during winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
When I first started my bog, I had some hair algae. I put water hyacinth and water lettuce in there and in two weeks it completely covered the surface. No light = no algae. And it hasn't done any harm to the canna, taro, or other plants in the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
t's winter here now so I'm thinking that many of the bog plants have gone dormant, so aren't sucking as much nutrient out of the water. Additionally, my pond it only around 6 months old, or less, so the bog plants haven't had that much time to really get going.

I think you hit the nail on the head. String algae can serve an important role in a pond, especially a new one. Don't worry too much about it - pull it out by hand if it gets to be too much. Watch so it doesn't clog pumps or strangle plants or divert water. But all in all it's harmless and will be managed by the pond itself once you get a more mature pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
just keep pulling out the algae being careful not to squeezer the algae as you'll release spores into the water. my hair algae didn't disappear for a year and a half the falls and the stream fast flowing areas had the algae then poof it was gone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Awesome thanks guys. Phew.

I'm expecting the plants I have in there to really get moving once springtime kicks off, which I'm hoping will get them big enough to cope with the debris that falls in the pond.

Any ideas on any species of bog plant that keeps growing and really active in winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
When I first started my bog, I had some hair algae. I put water hyacinth and water lettuce in there and in two weeks it completely covered the surface. No light = no algae. And it hasn't done any harm to the canna, taro, or other plants in the bog.
I have both hyacinth and water lettuce and the string algae is tangled in the roots. Has this happened to you? How do you get rid of it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have both hyacinth and water lettuce and the string algae is tangled in the roots. Has this happened to you? How do you get rid of it?

I just pull the string algae out. Another thing to try is hydrogen peroxide, but this is just a temporary fix. It will kill the algae in the pond, but it will still need to be removed. It also clogs up the filters as it breaks down. But without a lot of plants to remove the excess nutrients, the algae will return.

Ask a Question