Success rate adding new fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
What is your success rate adding new fish? I recently added 10 (small comet goldfish from Petco), already 4 of them died. In previous years I remember success rate was around 50%.

This time water is clear, I can see the bottom, and the bog filter appears to be working. 890 gallons pond, 24" deep.

Should I test the water?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Assuming proper acclimation, depends on the health of the fish added. Healthy fish should going into good conditions should be 90-100%. Did you get the cheap ones out of the feeder tanks? Often issues with those due to shipping stress and over crowding.

If the fish were healthy, and acclimated well, you might want to test to rule the water out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
never really had an issue with goldfish, i added 4 shubunkins 2-3 weeks ago still alive, and given its been that much they'll stay alive. Koi are pretty sensitive, so if water's not great they'll get shocked

Reaction score
i've never had fish from the store (also PetCo) die at a significant rate. Probably 10% or less (and not immediately. more like several weeks later), and I assume some of those just got eaten.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Petco sorry to say will never see my pond or aquariums. Never been impressed. But as far as aclamating fish goes about 98 % survive the other 2% just did not dp well in being caught or shipped.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, the cheap ones from the feeder tanks... Bigger expensive comets in another store otherwise go for something like 5 for $30.
They tend to be unhealthy, go first thing in the am, you will see the dead ones floating they have not removed yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have like 12 coming right now they are going for a little trip. Flying from New York to Atlanta to Hartford. Then a bit of a car ride. Of course the weather is no cooperating. It's actualy chilly this evening where the water feels warm.
So we will see how it goes in the am . As an Aquariest I'd never add over 12 fish at once. But in the pond that is doing very well this spring. I have no concerns about the pond biological being able to handle the fish load. 60 Inch bakki shower two bogs a nano bead filter for 27000 gallons. I doubt I'll even see a small spike in my levels.

Ask a Question