Suggestions for 2 foot high wall on pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I aggree with JC that if you are going with concrete filled block, you will need to pour a footer. Whether you go with a full 36" deep footer as JC suggested or a pier style as I suggested, you are going to need one. Sand and gravel base won't cut it for a block wall and it will shift someday. On just sand and gravel I would expect cracks in the walls in less than 2 years from sinking and shifting.

I did the pier footings becasue it was less digging. 17 years and no problems. You have to remember that the water is always against one side of the walls and the ground underneath the footers and so it acts somewhat as a heater to the ground and concrete immediately around the pond. I.e your concrete footer will always have water next to it that is 33F or higher. Pond temps 2-3 ft down are often in the high 30's to low 40's. It is almost impossible, even in Chicago to build up more than about 14" of ice on the surface. I don't think I have ever had more than about 6-8" build up in my pond.

That said, don't forget you'll need to take care of the ice on the top of the pond that will expand and put additional pressure on your walls as well. An 8-10" thick block of ice on the top can easily pop a wall, even if you keep a stock heater in it to keep a hole in the ice. Floating 2-3 plastic milk jugs with a few pebbles in them to keep them just a tad submerged in each corner allows a buffer for ice expansion. Tie them together to as when they get crushed they can leak and fill with water. They don't do anything then and will need to be replaced. You'll be amazed at how the jugs get crushed! As I think JC mentioned in an early posting, the greatest pressures are in the corners.

If you go 20" wide and 15" deep for the footer and use rebar, that is a pretty significant chunk of concreate. Combined with piers going down to 36-40" inches I don't think you'll have a problem. Not with the pond water up against it all. Plus a 2' concrete wall sitting on top of it all.
But you have to be comfortable with what you build. On the other hand, if you are digging a 15 inch trench, how much harder to dig a 36" inch trench? (Answer: at least twice as hard!)

Craig

Reaction score
thats great you have not had any issues with the pier style footers
guessing you have little in the way of water flow against the pond..

i have seen ice do crazy stuff and i am a much warmer (well usually) area then you 2 are..

Shane,

just to re cap. you do realize you will have to dig your pond and a footer (36") whilst attempting to leave a 1' area between the 2...

when i dig footers i always make it wide enough to get into it to place a form board (1 side only) and space enough to work the concrete. (concrete rake is 18" i think and i usually make it 2 buckets wide (24") depending on the back hoe.

probably best to dig the footer first, lay a few courses of block (to ground level) then dig your pond after back filling.. trouble with that now is you have loose soild rather than compacted for your 1' ledge.. once water is in the pond it wont much matter.
its keeping it there until :)..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
just to re cap. you do realize you will have to dig your pond and a footer (36") whilst attempting to leave a 1' area between the 2...

Why? Dig the trenches for the footers and pour them. Then excavate the pond right up to the footers if you want.

With reference to water flow around the pond, I believe he's already been warned about assuring proper drainage around and away from the pond area from the up hill above. i do have a very level yard and water tends to lay where it lands just about. It is one of the reasons we went with formal pond design so we could incorporate a waterfall. We couldn't see how to build a natural looking pond with a waterfall since we had no natural slopes in the yard. I've always hated seeing flat yards and suddenly a pile of rock dropped in to build elevaton for a pond waterfall! So a formal pond fit with our property better. At least we thought so.

Craig

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In this picture for our new pond, you can see the trench that I dug for the pier style footers. You can see how it goes below grade at the one end but is level at the far end. This was the day of the pour.

Attachments

• New_pond_1.jpg
    New_pond_1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 400
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In this second pic, we had a dozer and bobcat come in and level the ground down to the footer. You can just barely make out the whitish outline of the footer just under the dirt on the left side of the pic.

Craig

Attachments

• New_pond_2.jpg
    New_pond_2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 348
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In this pic, we had a small excavator come in and dig out the area inside the footer. Again, you can just make out the footer under a coating of dirt around the edges. In the bottom of the pic a 12" wide section of dirt was left to form a safety shelf, (once the side walls are built up) so that local wildlife, (deer and local pets, small children), have a shelf to get out or at least keep their head above water.

Craig

Attachments

• New_pond_5.jpg
    New_pond_5.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 385
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In this picture, the first course of block is in place, (not glued in yet), and the rough plumbing is in place. The vertical pipe in the middle with the 2" solid cinder block on it is just a platform for a lazy susan that holds the laser level. I can spin the lazy susan and easily check the level on any block.

The trench on the far right contains the plumbing - (drain line, hard pipe airlines, return lines and water line for filling the pond)

There are two more courses of block to be added on yet. The far end is where the waterfall wall will be. it will be six courses of block high.

Craig

Attachments

• P1010062.jpeg
    P1010062.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 445
Reaction score
Craig, yep, the wall did sag.

On foundations...same deal as the block, each builder picks how much risk they're willing to take on for their pond. Better the foundation, less risk of the wall moving.

In Craig's build I would call that a concrete collar rather than a foundation because it's well above the frost line. But a concrete collar is a lot better than just soil. A concrete collar with rebar even less risk and the concrete only needs to be 6-8" thick with rebar. A full foundation for a given area and soil is the least risky but also the most expensive.

Craig's biggest risk is the vertical soil walls collapsing into the pond behind the liner. This normally only happens in heavy rain when the pond overflows. So a pond overflow pipe can reduce that risk. It's only a risk, may never happen. Or in Larkin's recent build it can happen before you can even pour the concrete. But generally even these failures aren't the end of the world, they can be fixed.

When you build a $200K house on a foundation you don't want risk. When you build an inexpensive pond accepting risk is a pretty good bet. If the pond was being veneered with expensive stone and a lot of labor the risk (cost of failure) goes up along with the desire for a better foundation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes. I always build in a water overflow pipe. It will be installed at the far end by the waterfall and is piped away from the pond. There is a risk the soil can slide behind the liner. That's a risk on every liner pond ever built in soil. My concreate "collar"/wall foundation is deep enough, along with the piers that the risk is very minimal. The pond has 28" below grade. 15" of that 28" is reinforced concrete, not soil. So I have a "window" of 13" of soil that might slide. Roughly a foot. With the pond pressure of the water down at 3ft the risk is very low. The amount of water that would have to be in the soil to overcome that would have to be huge.

The attached pic is our current pond of 17 yrs. You can see that half of it is about 3ft above grade and half is about 8" above grade. This was built in a similar manner except that I used cinder block filled with concrete for the walls and I used a 1" stone to do the facing.

On the far left of the pic you can see a large sugar maple tree shading the end of the house. We lost half of that tree two years ago and on the way down it took out three good sized pine trees. After removing all the debris, we realized we could now have a pond by the side deck! So that is why we are building our new pond.

Craig

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 298
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Found this pic from two year ago. Not something you see much of in AZ JC! But Shane can probably appreciate it!

On the far right you can just make out the edge of the top of the wall of the pond. And the KOI are sleeping restfuly somewhere under there! :goldfish:

Craig

Attachments

• IMG_7997.JPG
    IMG_7997.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 282
Reaction score
My concreate "collar"/wall foundation is deep enough, along with the piers that the risk is very minimal.
Sorry, forgot you had piers. That is a foundation.

There is a risk the soil can slide behind the liner. That's a risk on every liner pond ever built in soil.
Yep. More vertical the sides the higher the risk. Was just reading in another forum of someone with a collapsed soil wall and was asking how to fix it. The pictures when full of water looked like a normal dug pond. The pictures of the fix, with the pond drained, showed the walls were vertical, not even a collar. Amazing it didn't collapse earlier. Must have been dense soil.

With the pond pressure of the water down at 3ft the risk is very low.
I agree. And even if some did collapse it wouldn't be much, you might not even notice.

Ask a Question