that was fast

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i hear ya' D.C...heres a clip of some of this years fry...about 30 of them in this tub.
[ame]

and a bit of the action this morning

[ame]

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Must be something in the water! or the air................the love bug bites.

nice videos, nice fry

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I got all set up for spawning and nothing, you get six spawns and not wanting that many! NOT FAIR!;)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I would have welcomed the spawns, except i wanted to go get a 110 gal stocktank, $50.00, tuff stuff brand at tractor supply.. and i threw away my spawn mops, to make new ones ( a week earlier,so they were picked up). it just threw me for a loop. i'd been ill and wasnt getting much done! this whole year has been that way...a day late, and a dollar short!!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Guess 1 day late and a dollar short is better than being a day early and $100 bucks short! LOL:lol::yikesu::lol:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
O.M.G.(gosh, i dont want to use the lords name in vane)... Fishin, they were at it this morning too. i dont wanna rub it in. but, man! 2 females involved this time. only lasted a couple, maybe 3 hours so they may very well be thru. sorry for your fish's impotence this year....maybe you should have tried the KOI VITAL.....lol
*********we have been getting 1 good rain almost every day lately..this may have kept them going********

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I actually did get some of the Koi vital, I found some at petsmart last weekend that was in the reduced isle, 1/2 off, I think I may have too many koi in the pond and possibly the pheromone level may be up to high. ??? Also getting late in the year here now for the Koi. I still have about a half a bottle left, yesterday we got the second rain we have had here in the last month and a half, Good rain! I dropped the water level down about 25% before the rain came in and let the pond fill last night with rain water. This morning the Biggest black comet and the two bigger shubbies are getting after it! One little koi is doing a lot of chasing as well but I think it's chasing for the free meal. I figured since the Koi aren't doing anything I would give a shot at the Goldies fry. Ended up with about 200-300 eggs! I already had everything pretty much ready so figured why not. By the time I got out there they were very slowed down, The big female is pretty beat up, I caught her just a little while ago and decided to move her into the house. I tried to get a video of them breeding but all of it was going on under the water lettuce so I really didn't get much.
LOL, I think your's are trying to populate the whole state! LOL

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well now that youve occupied your fry equipment...your koi will spawn. glad i got rid of all my goldfish varieties.those suckers spawned all summer... i had some beautiful shubunkins tho, as well as some real nice sarassas.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, your probably right! That's one of Murphy's laws isn't it? LOL Or at least should be!!!!!!:regular_waving_emot

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Every egg is white! a few have fungus but only a few (10-15 maybe!), I dosed with Methylene Blue, have a small airstone in the water. I don't see a amber colored egg in the whole tank! Going to keep watching but I've never seen the eggs look like this before. Almost appears that they didn't get fertilized. Went and checked in the pond and I can't find any eggs left in there although I really didn't expect to anyway but wanted to see if I could at least find a few that may still be there to see if they turned white too. Even the ones that were stuck good to the water lettuce leaves in the tank fell off. :twisted:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
so this morning i'm walking the edge of the pond skimming the lilly peices and iris roots floating around. (they do tear $h!t up trying to get those eggs and fry) this,after repotting 2 small lillies that got yanked up. the morning walk around the pond is a daily ritual, skimmer in one hand and a FOLGERS in the other. anyways i bend down to pull a weed and notice a fry swimming between acouple of border stones..then another.so i get down and crawl around the pond in persuit of the elusive fry. i spotted a dozen or so. this makes me wonder on how many i've netted and tossed out on the lawn...never know but i will start checking the net before shaking it clean in the future....thanks for putting up with my semi amuzing anecdotes!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
so this morning i'm walking the edge of the pond skimming the lilly peices and iris roots floating around. (they do tear $h!t up trying to get those eggs and fry) this,after repotting 2 small lillies that got yanked up. the morning walk around the pond is a daily ritual, skimmer in one hand and a FOLGERS in the other. anyways i bend down to pull a weed and notice a fry swimming between acouple of border stones..then another.so i get down and crawl around the pond in persuit of the elusive fry. i spotted a dozen or so. this makes me wonder on how many i've netted and tossed out on the lawn...never know but i will start checking the net before shaking it clean in the future....thanks for putting up with my semi amuzing anecdotes!

I have thought the same thing koiguy, or how many are going to end up in the bottom of 55gallon filter by way of the skimmer I hooked back up.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Everyone is white and almost all are fungused up now, even with MB.

The MB has to be put in withing a few hours of spawning to be effective. Without it, my losses were 90%. With it, about 15%. It doesn't save them all. I also removed the eggs to a nursery tank for the hatching, away from any unprotected pump intake.

Ask a Question