addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been very lucky, and just teasing you. I may have to buy rock soon. I have collected rock everywhere I can. So far, the only rock I have bought is the small riverstones. ($30 for half a bobcat load)

I collect rocks, we have hauled tons down from penna, but down here had to buy the suckers, to help out. I bought 6 pallets of rocks and boulders, a huge pile of river rock and pea gravel spent way to many bucks on rocks.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Nepen, I should have more pictures after this weekend. I used pavers from Lowe's that are irregularly shaped. They are kind of expensive but I can walk around the whole pond now, which is what I wanted to be able to do.
And addy1, I haven't even started buying the pea gravel yet. :( I am probably going to load a few bags full tonight on my way home from work today though....
And Amy, I have people out looking for lone rocks, we just don't have them. I was able to scavenge what was originally around the pond but with the added waterfall feature I needed more, and still more.
And j.w......:censored: hehe

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
check the pea gravel price vs the gravel price (over in the cement area) at home depot lowes. The gravel is the same size as the pea gravel, maybe not as uniform, but cheaper here. So after I got the 38000 lb truck load if I need any I get the bagged gravel instead of the garden pea gravel bags.

45 lbs pea gravel, 3.60, 60 lbs gravel 4.47

dffaff3e-d51b-4867-bdde-3e983f766b83_400.jpg
2e4b2a82-2d69-4bf5-a69a-91cab25199c5_400.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Tbendl. I asked my husband and he said you got flag stone and probably broke the stone to make it fit together. I like how it looks and I want to consider it for my new pond but I wouldn't be doing the cutting so I needed the easier way :) yours sounds like the easier way I want!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nepen, the pieces are awesome. I like how they fit together since it isn't a uniform square, I love the color, and they are easy to lay. Waaayyyy easier than cutting stone. I'll try to get a good picture of the pieces this weekend.
And addy1, I will look today when I go. I found a place that sells bulk but even though the bags will be a more expensive, I figured the bags would be easier to manhandle and rinse, etc... I will definitely check out the cheaper gravel, thanks. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The one thing I liked it is not as dirty as the pea gravel. We did not rinse ours, too much, a dry summer and on a well. The gravel bags I do not rinse at all and you don't have the cloud of dirt come out of it.

"This gravel is graded and washed for landscaping, decoration, base material as well as aggregate finishes."

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
And Amy, I have people out looking for lone rocks, we just don't have them. I was able to scavenge what was originally around the pond but with the added waterfall feature I needed more, and still more.
Sorry to pick on you. I am very fortunate to live on a "rocky" area. Signs on the sides of roads read" watch for falling rock". You'd love it here. lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to pick on you. I am very fortunate to live on a "rocky" area. Signs on the sides of roads read" watch for falling rock". You'd love it here. lol
Some are rock lucky some are rock poor. I have rocks but they turn to mush once they are pulled from the dirt. I saved them all when I was digging, but the next spring the pile had turned to dirt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Lots of rock to be found around here in the fields. Just not the flagstone type which I would prefer around the pond. Lots of roundish irregular shapes. Fun to go hunting. Even though I already have enough for my pond I still want more!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Same here, no flagstone, just roundy rocks mostly.
One can never have too many rocks

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I saved them all when I was digging, but the next spring the pile had turned to dirt.
Do you have red clay? I sometimes can't tell the difference between a rock and a large clump of clay, until I start rinsing it! :confused:

Same here, no flagstone, just roundy rocks mostly.

I also was incredible fortunate When I was talking to my boss about building my pond, he said he had a couple of pallets of flagstone that was there when he bought his house and told me I could have it! They were knocked over and had tons of dirt and critters, but still a great score. I made 3 trips in my pickup last night and today and now I have a couple weekends worth of rock placing to do! :jawdrop: Wanna come and help? :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We can get great Pennsylvanian field stone from our lot in pa, but need to haul it down, wish we had a nice heavy duty trailer, right now just load what ever we drive as heavy as we can. I have cleaned our lot pretty good, now want to clean surrounding lots lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We were out biking yesterday and hubby picked up a rock and asked if I needed it. It would break apart like sand so nope we don't need any of addy's melting MD rocks. Told him about all your rocks addy and how they started to disappear in the rain. He is learning :D

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They make great dirt piles, give them time and poof gone is the rock and in its place is a pile of dirt.

Ask a Question